PDA

View Full Version : Some Q`s on Camry paint correction

rainstorm
07-14-2008, 11:24 PM
Gas prices have forced me into a 2000 Camry I`d like to detail. The finish is very scratched. Not swirled, scratched. However, nothing deep enough to catch a finger nail. It looks to be from a dog jumping on the doors and maybe from boxes being drug across the trunk lid and top of the car. Not being familar with a foreign car finish, nor anything in this deplorable condition, I`d like to exchange some guess work for some tips on what type of compound(s) and pads to begin with. I do have a [7"] rotary and a PC, and am familar with using both.

I thank you for the advice.

TSC17
07-15-2008, 08:11 AM
Here is some info on a 2003 model that I worked on that was in rough shape. They actually correct pretty easily...just take your time and do it right.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-brag/107422-03-camry-revival-lots-pics.html

rainstorm
07-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Very ironic. I have the same (flake) color car. However, picture wise, yours pre-detail, seemed to be in much better condition. Mine is extremly surfaced scratched.

I`ve clayed the finish thus far. That alone was a 40% improvement.

I thank you for the time.

TSC17
07-15-2008, 12:20 PM
No problem. It was pretty bad, but that was before I had a DSLR, and couldn`t get my old camera to focus well on the scratches. I never would have gotten them out without wetsanding.

Have fun.

rainstorm
07-15-2008, 12:33 PM
You`re braver than I am--wet sanding. If I can get a nice scratch diminished shine, it shouldn`t be totally unacceptable for a daily driver. :-)

Cheers.