PDA

View Full Version : Bumper and dash repair: Highlander. 4 pictures.

Pages : [1] 2

AppliedColors
07-14-2008, 07:58 PM
This customer damaged his dashboard hauling PVC pipe. Toyota quoted him about $1350 for a replacement which he promptly declined.

His wife made quite an impression in his rear bumper (don`t they always blame it on the wife/daughter/son/mother?). Bodyshop quote: $1020.

Pictures:

http://appliedcolors.com/highlander/hb01.JPG

http://appliedcolors.com/highlander/hb02.JPG

http://appliedcolors.com/highlander/highlander_dash01.JPG

http://appliedcolors.com/highlander/highlander_dash02.JPG

Process (bumper):

1. Clean bumper. Wax/grease remove bumper.

2. Remove bumper and mask all trim.

3. Sand out damage.

4. Heat and reshape bumper with heat gun, dollies, hands...anything that gets the job done.

5. Prime repair area.

6. Seal repair area.

7. Scuff and clean entire bumper.

8. Basecoat blend area.

9. Clearcoat entire bumper (:wow: this customer paid the extra $125 for a full clearcoat). Infrared heatlamp the bumper to curing point.

10. Remount bumper.

Process (dash):

1. Clean repair area.

2. Sand out damage with 600 grit dry.

3. Fill damage with SEM Flex Weld.

4. Texturize repair area with SEM Spray Texture. Sand with 800 grit dry.

5. Match color of dash and spray .75 oz. of catalyzed vinyl/leather/plastic dye over repair area, curing with heat gun.

Price:

$500 for bumper and $125 for dash. If the customer chose to blend the repair near the hitch, we could have done the bumper for $375.

Time:

Completed in 4 hours by two techs.

Notes:

This was not an insurance job. The customer wanted the bumper fixed--not replaced--and wanted to keep his out-of-pocket cost near his deductable of $500. Look closely, and you can see that the main crease in the bumper was not entirely removed. Nevertheless, he was very happy with the repair and his insurance rate remained the same.

The dash repair was visually a 90% improvement. Touch it, however, and it was rougher than the surrounding dash. We had to add some high gloss clear to the dye to match the sheen of the dash.

accordmaniac
07-14-2008, 08:06 PM
You are really good at what you do.

Wes Man
07-14-2008, 08:10 PM
WOW amazing

Legacy
07-14-2008, 08:58 PM
Very good job for a good price.

Legacy
07-14-2008, 09:09 PM
BTW why would it cost $375 more to fix the scuff by the hitch? Doesnt seem like much more work to correct or maybe it was. The repair looks awesome except for that area above the hitch.

Strokin04
07-14-2008, 09:22 PM
BTW why would it cost $375 more to fix the scuff by the hitch? Doesnt seem like much more work to correct or maybe it was. The repair looks awesome except for that area above the hitch.

Are you talking about the reflection of the hitch on the bumper? I am not seeing any damage above the hitch but, a reflection from the hitch. :confused:

To the OP nice work on both repairs!!! :xyxthumbs

dgoff07
07-14-2008, 09:25 PM

375 is 125 less than 500....

I`m not sure you understand what he said. If he didnt clear the whole bumper and blended it out to the area near the hitch, it would have been 125 dollars cheaper. which is 375.

AppliedColors, nice work. I have a friend who is going to teach me some stuff like that. Never know when you might need to know how!

ScubaStevo
07-14-2008, 09:26 PM

Are you talking abotu the reflection? lol

lp2137
07-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Great job, a couple quick questions, Do you own Applied Colors or just chose that as a screenname? And where are you located?

MrRumble
07-14-2008, 09:49 PM
Damn, you`re awesome, keep sharing!

AppliedColors
07-14-2008, 09:54 PM

There was no scuff by the hitch. What I meant was that we could have just painted half the bumper (the hitch would be the split point) for $375. The customer chose to have the whole bumper cleared for another $125.

Holden_C04
07-14-2008, 09:59 PM
It looks like good work but why only one finished picture of each? You probably put in about 4-5 hours of work into these repairs and I don`t think a single picture really justifies it. It makes a good before/after but not much else.

AppliedColors
Great job, a couple quick questions, Do you own Applied Colors or just chose that as a screenname? And where are you located?

I own Applied Colors and a reconditioning shop in Oregon.

There are reconditioners in all major cities. They perform:

1. Paintless dent repair

2. Vinyl/leather/dash repair

3. Carpet dyeing

4. Bumper and panel repair

5. Scratch and rock chip repair

6. Windshield repair

7. Interior plastic panel repair

Reconditioners typically make double what detailers make; some PDR techs make $150k+ a year. Develop a scarce skill and the free market will compensate you.

Legacy
Ok, but I saw a dark mark near the hitch in the after picture so I thought it was 375 more to fix that.

AppliedColors
07-14-2008, 10:04 PM
It looks like good work but why only one finished picture of each? You probably put in about 4-5 hours of work into these repairs and I don`t think a single picture really justifies it. It makes a good before/after but not much else.

I want usable photos of every job we do for our portfolio. One good before and after is enough. Finishing on time, on budget, and making the customer happy is the first priority; pictures come second. Occasionally an exotic comes to the shop, and we get a little photo happy. :spot