PDA

View Full Version : Soap to water ratio

orsmith
08-30-2005, 06:31 PM
i just bought meg`s gold class soap...i`m reading the directions and it says 4 cap fulls and 1 gallon of water. OK....i have a yukon xl...i don`t think 1 gallon
of water will wash my whole truck....can you add more? what do you experts do?

jaybs02
08-30-2005, 06:36 PM
A general ratio I use is 1 oz of soap per gal.
this way I went a good amount of suds and lubricity

"J"

orsmith
08-30-2005, 07:09 PM
i got you jay....so if i use 5 gallons of water i`ll use 5 oz`s of soap

tubafeak
08-30-2005, 07:21 PM
That`s about right, sometimes if it doesn`t look very dirty and I`m using the pressure washer I`ll mix car wash up a bit watery, rinses better that way. I use NXT mostly so lubricity isn`t really a problem. Experiment a bit with the wash you use to see what the right amount is, it should be slick and sudsy, but it should also rinse off easily and cleanly.

Sting2324
08-30-2005, 07:23 PM
As Jay said, it`s usually 1oz to 1gallon of water.

When this stock runs out, look for Meguair`s Hyper-Wash. It has a dilution ratio of 400:1. Meaning 1oz to every 5 gallons of water. To find a retailer in your area, go to Meguairs.com and look under DealerLocater. Look for the Professional line.

orsmith
08-30-2005, 09:14 PM
thanks for the info...i was also reading somewhere where they said when it comes to rinsing off your car to take the nozzle off and use the free flow of water. You won`t get any water spots and they said it dries faster...what`s your opinion on that?

JaredPointer
08-30-2005, 09:52 PM
thanks for the info...i was also reading somewhere where they said when it comes to rinsing off your car to take the nozzle off and use the free flow of water. You won`t get any water spots and they said it dries faster...what`s your opinion on that?

It`s how I dry. It`s called the "flood rinse" technique (sometimes), and it does work well. It leaves little water on the vehicle surface to be dried. Follow up with a microfiber towel and some quick detail spray as you dry what`s left and you will be all set.

jaybs02
08-31-2005, 10:34 AM
You can also pick up a "fireman`s nozzle" this way you dont have to remove the nozzle

Big Leegr
08-31-2005, 02:58 PM
i just bought meg`s gold class soap...i`m reading the directions and it says 4 cap fulls and 1 gallon of water. OK....i have a yukon xl...i don`t think 1 gallon
of water will wash my whole truck....can you add more? what do you experts do?

Another method of adding the "proper" amount of soap is to boost the capfulls by the amount of extra water. IE- 1.5 gal. of water =6 caps. 2 gal.=8 etc.
But as mentioned, many shampoos are generally 1 oz. per gallon, then modified as needed (hard water etc.)

orsmith
08-31-2005, 03:06 PM
jared....after i rinse off...then give it a good dry the first time...you said to go back with some quick detailer and get the rest. i didn`t know you could use the quick detailer with water on the car

JaredPointer
08-31-2005, 03:33 PM
jared....after i rinse off...then give it a good dry the first time...you said to go back with some quick detailer and get the rest. i didn`t know you could use the quick detailer with water on the car

After you "flood" most of the water off the vehicle, you can dry it with a microfiber towel and detail spray. Just spray the panel with the DS and wipe down the panel. Personally, I like to think of the DS as adding a nice shine to the vehicle while aiding in preventing marring as I dry. I didn`t come up with the idea or anything, just modified it to best fit my needs. I think it works well, and my vehicle always looks better if I dry with the DS versus without.

Sting2324
08-31-2005, 05:28 PM
After you "flood" most of the water off the vehicle, you can dry it with a microfiber towel and detail spray. Just spray the panel with the DS and wipe down the panel. Personally, I like to think of the DS as adding a nice shine to the vehicle while aiding in preventing marring as I dry. I didn`t come up with the idea or anything, just modified it to best fit my needs. I think it works well, and my vehicle always looks better if I dry with the DS versus without.

Exactly what I do. Works great!

JasonS
09-01-2005, 12:41 PM
Most car washes dilute 3:1, one ounce of car wash per 3 gallons of water. The New Detailer Meguiars Hyper Wash 128 oz dilutes 400:1 one ounce per 5 gallons. The Meguiars Pro detailing line is a great money and time saver for mobile and pro detailers.

Meguiars Hyper Wash (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiar-s-hyper-wash.html)

JasonS
09-01-2005, 12:43 PM
Sting2324,

That is a great idea, what qd are you using?