PDA

View Full Version : Please recomm`d Sealant like Permaplate

gunmetalgrey
07-14-2008, 11:44 AM
Please recommend a polymer sealant that will last six months and look as good as Permaplate.

My dealer threw in a free application of Permaplate as a sweetener, but I`ve started using a pro detailer for car care instead of the dealership. So I need to choose a brand of polymer sealant for my detailer to use from now on.

FWIW, I like the Permaplate, it stays glassy without extreme care. What sealant should I use?

Thanks,

GMG

Macko
07-14-2008, 01:18 PM
If your dealer knows his stuff he should be able to recommend a suitable sealant for you. I`m not familiar with Permaplate but a lot of folks swear by the Zaino range & the Werrkstatt range. I`ve used both & they are excellent products.

Holden_C04
07-14-2008, 01:50 PM
Surely, a decent professional detailer will know of a quality sealant that they could use....

gunmetalgrey
07-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Macko & Holden, thanks for the replies.

Sure, I can ask the detailer, but then there`s a chance I`ll get the push item instead of the best product for my car. I figured the experts on this forum would have some unbiased recommendations.

Please keep the ideas coming.

Thanks,

GMG

qwertydude
07-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Collinite waxes last a good long time as good as any of those polymer sealants. But as you`ll quickly learn from this forum 90% of the look of your car is in the prep and polishing not the lsp.

Wolf-Strong
07-14-2008, 11:42 PM
Permaplate is another one of those dealer warranties that they have where they over hype the product. It is a dealer sold product, and the warranty can only be claimed at that dealership which you got it from. The product itself is sub par (I`ve used it along with many other of those dealer sealants) when compared to even a $5 tin of wax you would buy at Wal-mart. Don`t be fooled by their gimmicks, because trust me on this, I have talked to detailers (and worked on) that maintain those `sealed` cars, and they will swear that it acts no different than a regular coat of wax.

My recommendation is not to get uptight about what wax you use, rather that you car just be taken care of properly; ie: don`t use bath towels, and an old dirty sponge to clean the car with dish soap. Since it appears you are not taking care of it, rather your detailer, just make sure you keep a good coat of wax on it, keep it clean, and enjoy it :)

gunmetalgrey
07-16-2008, 02:13 PM
BTW, I spoke to customer support at Permaplate today, and they told me that the sealant lasts 5-7 years from a single application.

Really. I asked twice.

I find that hard to believe.

They also sell shampoo and QD to maintain the finish, but if you use other products, it doesn`t affect the warranty.

GMG

wannafbody
07-16-2008, 03:18 PM
BTW, I spoke to customer support at Permaplate today, and they told me that the sealant lasts 5-7 years from a single application.

Really. I asked twice.

I find that hard to believe.

They also sell shampoo and QD to maintain the finish, but if you use other products, it doesn`t affect the warranty.

GMG

Color me skeptical too. I don`t think Zaino makes that kind of claim and lots of people swear it`s a quite durable product.

Holden_C04
07-16-2008, 04:45 PM

That`s incorrect. Most boutique sealants here last longer than dealer-applied products and their durability is one year and under so.......

imported_Gears
07-16-2008, 05:41 PM
BTW, I spoke to customer support at Permaplate today, and they told me that the sealant lasts 5-7 years from a single application

GMG

Wow, that must be some special stuff :rofl :rofl

I`ve seen paint that didn`t last that long.

If a company told me a lie like that I wouldn`t use any of their products.

Wolf-Strong
07-26-2008, 08:53 PM
I`ve dealt with cars that had Permaplate applied, and believe me, the durability is closer to months, not years.

Mopar
07-30-2008, 06:15 PM
Permaplate is a quick way for the dealer to....

A. Butter you up for a good score on a survey.

B. Make a few bucks real quick, real easy.

C. All of the above.

I have worked in dealers for a long time doing a wide range of jobs from top to bottom. I have messed with it and I promise you are better off with Zaino.

9935annivgt
07-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Plus 2 for Zaino, love the stuff, easy to use and excellant durability even down here at the beach.

gtpaul
07-30-2008, 08:31 PM
I`ve used it when I worked at the BMW dealer.

Customers would opt to throw away $500 for the paint protection package which would get them an initial application of PermaPlate, and bottle of car soap and a bottle of PermaPlate sealant to reapply every 6 months. Stuff was garbage.

You`d be better off with Meguiars..and I don`t even like Meguiars!