PDA

View Full Version : A Tight Economy

MCWD
07-14-2008, 08:45 AM
As most of you are seeing and feeling a tighter budget, I find the need to brainstorm. Customers are not excited in hearing about price hikes, but they are needed. I am wondering how some of you are dealing with these sky rocketing costs. Currently I am in the process of reviewing all of my services, and tweaking them in order to successfully raise costs and still have happy customers. Truly, I find that I am making hardly any money from the washes, and as a result I want to steer away from doing a standard wash. Most car washes charge around $22-30 for their top of the line washes. In addition to that, I have seen them charge anywhere from $15-30 for a spray wax application on top of the wash. Being that my sevices are mobile, I am curious as to what some of you may have seen mobile servies run for a detailed wash in and out with a spray wax application to car, windows and wheels within your areaS.:help:

imported_d00t
07-14-2008, 09:17 AM
I just started about six months ago really trying to make something of my detailing, in the form of a side business. While I don`t ALWAYS do mobile, I will. With that said, I keep my prices fairly low. I`m talking full paint correction on a small(er) car (such as an S2000 which I primarily detail `cause of the forums there) I only charge $200 for everything. I notice MOST people here, and else where charge in upwards of $350+. I do this because I enjoy detailing cars, I make absolutely no profit because it just goes right back into buying more things, and I`m perfectly happy with it this way.

But! As far as pricing goes, I start off at $30 for a simple outside wash/spray wax. Why? Because I live in Fremont, CA with a whole bunch-o` cheap asses :D. So coming from someone who does this as a hobby, I wouldn`t charge a lot, because until I make this my full time job, I don`t feel the need to excessively charge people, and that means they keep coming back to me. So one customer who I charge $150 once? (just inside/outside and hand wax) Or do I charge him $50 for the same thing, and because the level of job I do, and the price, he comes back to me with two cars for almost a year now. It does pay off.. Somethin` to think about I suppose...

Aaron

Holden_C04
07-14-2008, 01:08 PM
I have always felt that the economy is what you make of it. If you go around with a negative attitude that you`re not going to make any money and all of your clients underpay, your business is going to suffer regardless of the economic climate. On the other hand, carry a positive attitude and make your clients feel special, and you`ll say: recess-what?

MCWD
07-14-2008, 01:32 PM
Thanks guys...

brwill2005
07-14-2008, 02:33 PM
One way to make more money without raising prices too much is to become more efficient. Streamline products and processes to make more per detail. Really its the same as charging more. I am always thinking of ways to reduce my costs without quality suffering.

Scottwax
07-14-2008, 03:01 PM
I`m staying very busy and other than the price of gas going up, I`ve yet to notice any effects from the so-called bad ecomony (besides, as soon as the election is over in November, all the "bad economy" talk will stop).

I haven`t raised my prices, just added a trip charge outside a certain radius. No one has complained.

Honestly the economy shouldn`t affect us much anyway. Good times mean people are buying new cars and want them protected, bad times mean people keep their cars longer and like have them detailed so they still look good.

EcoAutoCT
07-14-2008, 05:06 PM
Honestly the economy shouldn`t affect us much anyway. Good times mean people are buying new cars and want them protected, bad times mean people keep their cars longer and like have them detailed so they still look good.

That`s the way I see it as well.

If you aren`t making money off a wash, sounds like it`s time to rethink your services. Personally, I don`t do wash/vacs at my price of $40-50 without a two car minimum.

If it takes me 15 minutes to go 10 miles each way, thats $7.50 in gas, plus 45 minutes to complete a wash/vac/windows and a $2.50 allotment for materials/depreciation of equipment. Therefore 75 minutes / $30 profit equals $24 per hour. Having a two wash minimum changes that figure to 120 minutes / $67.50 profit = $34 per hour- which is much closer to where I want to be.

imported_ajbarnes
07-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Good times mean people are buying new cars and want them protected, bad times mean people keep their cars longer and like have them detailed so they still look good.

Now that`s a positive way of looking at it. :)

imported_Jakerooni
07-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Scott hit that one on the head. I live and have my shop in probably one of the worst economy`s in the nation to date... And yet I`m busy all the time. I get a ton of work of people trying to sell their cars to get some extra cash or get out of a SUV etc etc etc.. Regardless of reasoning I`m staying busy and not doing to bad considering I live in Flint Michigan LOL... It`s all in your attitude about it. My cost have gone up slightly by my suppliers raiseing their cost. But because I buy in bulk and it last for awhile I haven`t had to raise prices yet to cover those cost. I just cut out product I use rarely, try and get bargins if I buy certian quanities... It`s easy to offset cost if your mindset is right about it.

imported_weekendwarrior
07-15-2008, 04:20 PM
I get a ton of work of people trying to sell their cars to get some extra cash or get out of a SUV etc etc etc..

Funny - I just got a call from someone yesterday wanting me to detail their gas guzzling SUV soon so they can throw it up for sale.