PDA

View Full Version : Newb in need

Me[kk]A
07-13-2008, 09:23 PM
So i purchased a set of rims ive loved forever for cheap.. however the guy informed me ahead of time that they weren`t cared for.. To be specific the brake dust accumulation on the wheels had gone orange and completely caked on..

they have a black lip of brake dust on the lip of the rim (half inch in size) all around the rim and inbetween the spokes and lug holes is where the dust is most heavily caked and tinting orange (like rust)

Was wondering what could be done to save em?

jeteast99
07-13-2008, 11:02 PM
what type of coating does the wheel have?

3puttjay
07-13-2008, 11:04 PM
I would try some apc first soaked in and then try and use a wheel brush to get rid of the crusted on stuff. If this doesn`t work I have good success using eagle one a2z wheel cleaner to get rid of brake dust. Just make sure to get it off quickly because some have issues with it removing clearcoat and messing up chrome. I haven`t seen it happen but others on here have their reservations. If you can afford it, P21S makes an awesome wheel cleaner gel. I have used it before and it really works. It states that it is safe for all types of wheels and I didn`t notice anything bad happen to any of my wheels after using P21S.

Me[kk]A
07-14-2008, 11:29 AM
would you know which stores would carry the eagle product mentioned? the brake dust is really caked on in the spots it`s stained. i noticed that i will most likely take off the clear coat if i scrub off the caked on portions as the wheel is a polished aluminum.

I also lack any motorized equipment for the job so elbow grease is my best friend.

thank you in advance for the input so far gents

nlkccom
07-14-2008, 12:25 PM
A;1152526`]would you know which stores would carry the eagle product mentioned? the brake dust is really caked on in the spots it`s stained. i noticed that i will most likely take off the clear coat if i scrub off the caked on portions as the wheel is a polished aluminum.

I also lack any motorized equipment for the job so elbow grease is my best friend.

thank you in advance for the input so far gents

You`ll be able to find E1 A2Z wheel cleaner at places like Target, Walmart, Autozones, Pep Boys... it`s pretty widely available. I was thinking about picking up a bottle too, but many here mentioned about it being too strong, and stripping clean coat on rims.