PDA

View Full Version : Removing swirl marks

topspin2006
07-11-2008, 11:24 PM
Hi. First of all I`d like to say that I really enjoy reading on this forum. I`m not a pro at detailing but I`ve always enjoyed working on detailing cars since I was a kid.

I currently worked on my dads` suv, he has a 2002 acura mdx (gold color). It still looks new. It has got a few swirls marks, nothing too serious.

I just detailed it by claying, the polising with meguiars ScratchX swirl/scrath remover and then sealing with CG M-Seal. I`d like a better swirl mark remover though. I do everything by hand btw. I`m looking at getting the CG scratch and swirl mark remover, but it says that it is for machine application. I`m not sure how it will work by hand.

If not, I`m considering the CG medium compound. What do you guys think?

I`d like to order from CG since they seem to make really nice products that are easy to apply and remove and also smell pretty nice. So far I`ve only tried their m-seal and their glaze.

But if there is a more appropriate product elsewhere then I will order it. I`d just like something that works better than the meguiars swirl remover but that does not remove my paint either.

I look forward to reading your suggestions.

qwertydude
07-12-2008, 02:28 AM
Buy a cheapo random orbit machine. It`ll make life a lot easier. You can get a 6" one for about 25 bucks at walmart, I`ve been using the same one going on 10 years now. Probably costs less than just a single bottle of that expensive polish that you plan on buying. Then you can get an inexpensive polish like Turtle Wax Premium Polishing Compound and a synthetic wool pad. That`s about as aggressive as you wanna go. I find that the Turtle Polish, followed by Meguiars professional swirl remover works as a great polishing combo. I don`t like scratch x, leaves too much oils and fillers which get in the way of determining the true condition of your paint. Follow it with a pure wax, not a cleaner wax and you`ll have a much better finish with way more durability.

pwaug
07-12-2008, 05:48 AM
If you are trying to remove swirls then you must remove some clear coat, but it is almost impossible to damage your paint by hand. I recently did my wife`s car by hand and it was hell, but the results came out well. Megs has a new product M105 that is very aggressive, but gives excellent results by hand. Check out my process and results here By hand-- - Car Care Forums: Meguiar`s Online (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25186)

topspin2006
07-21-2008, 01:07 AM
I used a turtle wax 6" buffer (3200 random orbits/minute) but this is a gentle buffer that does not really do a deep job like the professional machines. I read the thread on removing swirl marks by hand where the poster compared a lot of different products. ScratchX actually did pretty good on that test but it required 5 passes. I`m working on a Acura MDX and I have no intention of doing 5 passes by hand, lol.

Does anyone know which CG product would be a cut stronger than ScratchX?

Accumulator
07-21-2008, 10:52 AM
topspin2006- Can`t help with the CG`s line, but IMO the way to go by hand is 1Z brand polishes. Sources: Home (http://www.exceldetail.com/) or Aloha & Welcome to Our Oasis for All Your Auto Detailing, Auto Detailing Supplies, Auto Detailing Equipment, Auto Detailing Products, & Auto Detailing Accessories for all your Automobile Detailing (http://www.pakshak.com/index.html)