PDA

View Full Version : lesson learned

Randywreynolds
07-11-2008, 06:24 PM
If you could pass on something you learned, either by trial and error (or "a friend once did this" for those who won`t admit mistakes,,lol) over the years, what would it be. My intent from this thread is for some light heartedness, not necesarrily product info.

For example ...........USE SUNBLOCK!!

:LOLOL

Chris@Optimum
07-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Never under any circumstances, take a laxative and a sleeping pill at the same time!

mborner
07-12-2008, 08:48 AM
Always be mindful of the hose.

imported_PaPaHoFF
07-12-2008, 09:01 AM
Dont work with someone who is in it for the money..

imported_themightytimmah
07-12-2008, 09:54 AM
See her mother? She`ll turn into that *much* faster than you think.

Envious Eric
07-12-2008, 11:00 AM
wear sunglasses ALWAYS and ALWAYS stay hydrated

i went home the other day after a full day of detailing in the sun to my night job at a restaurant...long story short, between the lack of food, 1/2 recommended amount of liquid intake, and staring at the sun reflections off paint, I lost my vision temporarily, had a splitting headache, was nauseous, and had the spins - basically like a migrain mixed with passing out, but not that extreme

from now on, I will no longer be drinking energy drinks, I will always eat properly, stay hydrated all the time, and stop burning the candle at both ends (im only 25, but still) and also the shades will stay on while detailing in the sun!

Buegie
07-12-2008, 11:13 AM
check your buffer/pads before doing any work. Long story short, I was polishing one day and I had a pad completely detach itself from the BP and fly across the driveway. Since I was using my PC and not the rotary, I was leaning pretty hard on the machine. Luckily I reacted quick enough to lift it off of the paint, or I would have dug the Velcro backing into the surface.

ptaylor_9849
07-12-2008, 12:52 PM
The audio on this is a little soft. Turn it up and enjoy.

YouTube - Baz Luhrmann - Everybody`s Free (To Wear Sunscreen) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ7AzBIJoI)

Patrick

backwoods_lex
07-12-2008, 11:26 PM
It`s been a while since I`ve seen that. Pretty cool video.

My advice would be to wash and dry your car properly (insert +-32 step proper wash technique here) and avoid the brush at the coin op at all costs. My current car is around 90% scratch free, where as my last one was scratched and swirled on all but about 3% of the paint. I`m glad that I found autopia.

mr.ikon
07-12-2008, 11:46 PM
Always be mindful of the hose.

Dropped the hose multiple times today during a detail and was sprayed each and everytime. And I got mad like it was the the hose fault. :mad: Silly me.

beachcities
07-12-2008, 11:47 PM
dont use leather conditioner on vinyl, avoid hyped internet only offered products, don`t drop ipod in wash bucket, don`t use the edge of a pad to try to remove a scratch, dont use just any sanding papers, dont tell customers something will be perfect until i am sure it can be, dont quarrel with other local detailers, after sweating in the sun for 12 hours sunscreen has probably worn off, always wear a hat in the sun, dont have your company shirts be black, dont use 10" pads on a porter cable, mothers carnauba wax is a pita to get off of paint, and don`t sleep with girls that live in the same apartment complex as you.

Backer1
07-12-2008, 11:58 PM
dont use leather conditioner on vinyl, avoid hyped internet only offered products, don`t drop ipod in wash bucket, don`t use the edge of a pad to try to remove a scratch, dont use just any sanding papers, dont tell customers something will be perfect until i am sure it can be, dont quarrel with other local detailers, after sweating in the sun for 12 hours sunscreen has probably worn off, always wear a hat in the sun, dont have your company shirts be black, dont use 10" pads on a porter cable, mothers carnauba wax is a pita to get off of paint, and don`t sleep with girls that live in the same apartment complex as you.

That last bit is really true... thank God for 6-month leases.