PDA

View Full Version : Need some help, Menz products

Pages : [1] 2

Classiks
07-10-2008, 02:39 PM
I`m still quite new to this, and I`m not quite happy with the results I get.

I did this car with Menzerna Super Intensive Polish with Orange pad on speed 6 with PC, and then I followed up

with Menz Intensive Polish on a white polishing pad also on speed 6, second time on speed 5.

I went over it once with the Menz SIP and I went over it twice with the Intensive.

Are these octagon like scratches micro marring that that IP should be taking out or should I have went over again with SIP to get these out?

I just want to ask before I go and re-do the whole process.

Thanks

(this is a trunk shot)

http://i34.tinypic.com/i53nt5.jpg

VTechFan02
07-10-2008, 02:56 PM
We will need more info as far as what type of car it is and what color. Also, while you were polishing, did you use good technique by moving very slowly ie 1-2 in/sec and with light to moderate force and overlap your passes by 50%?

-Frank

proudpoppa
07-10-2008, 03:45 PM
im going to say another round of sip was needed. you should be using sip until the defects are gone and then going to your finer polish and pad to bump up the gloss.

Classiks
07-10-2008, 06:15 PM
I figured I need to do another SIP pass, and yes I go very slow, about 1" a second with 50% over each pass.

Car is Nighhawk Black Pearl, the OEM Honda Black.

I will try again with another pass of SIP on speed 6 and see how it goes.

Thanks

Lumadar
07-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Maybe try some Lake Country Purple Foamed wool? PC`s lack power so you need all the help you can get.

Also, be careful with running that on speed 6...many advise against it- and in fact there is a thread right now where someone pointed out that their backing plate came apart while running it at speed 6.

Alex Boyce
07-10-2008, 06:41 PM
Maybe try some Lake Country Purple Foamed wool? PC`s lack power so you need all the help you can get.

Also, be careful with running that on speed 6...many advise against it- and in fact there is a thread right now where someone pointed out that their backing plate came apart while running it at speed 6.

Correct be careful, but I know there are MANY people that run speed 6 on there PC`s and have never run into a problem.

Its possible that the backing plate had problems strictly due to its age. Dave did say that it was 2 or 3 years old, and he prolly uses it quite often.

I agree with Lumadar, give foamed purple wool a shot. Also using a 4" pad on a PC will result in more correction power

Also make sure your finishing the polish down all the way, if you don`t break down the polish it results in micro-marring in some cases.

Let us know how it goes!!

Classiks
07-10-2008, 07:10 PM
Sorry I made a mistake.

I used Menz Power Gloss on orange pad and then I used the Intensive Polish on a white pad afterwards. (I didn`t buy SIP at the time, I heard it was about the same as IP, both being 2000 grit)

I would have expected the power gloss to get rid of those. The power gloss left obvious micro marring, which was completely removed by the IP and white pad stage but for some reason these octagon like scratches and other small ones remained.

So I guess my question is should I go another round of Power Gloss? Because I already used IP twice on it and it didn`t really make a difference. Or should I try using IP on a orange pad and then finish again with IP with a white pad.

Perhaps I should use a wool pad or a 4".

If I do use a purple Lake Country pad, I assume I should use the IP on it? And if I use 4" pad what are my options/combinations?

Thanks for the advice on the speed 6, I almost always use speed 6, should I step it down to 5 for my two polishing stages? My PC is a few months old.

Thanks in advance

99blackSE
07-10-2008, 09:56 PM
You used IP twice and it didn`t make a difference on that soft Honda paint? Hmmm, strange.

That looks like fairly minor marring, I`d try IP with the white LC on a test spot and see if it does remove them. If it does great, if it doesn`t try orange.

I use 4 inch pads almost exclusively with the PC, I hate having the thing bog down with 6 inchers.

I use speed 6 even when finishing, speed 6 is where it is at on the PC for the most part.

Correcting with the PC can be very time consuming though. My Flamenco Black Pearl was hammered (think grey, not black) and after about 20 hours into it is now probably around 90% defect free. This was with 4 inch pads and OHC yellow LC/106 orange LC first time around then SIP-OC mix yellow edge/106 green edge second time.

pampos
07-10-2008, 10:24 PM
you have to work with the polish very very well to break down completely...Also you have to be careful while removing the polish because Honda CC is very very soft and you can mar it extremely easily....

Happened to me to mar my Honda paint by removing wax..I applied by mistake a thick layer,and the dust of the wax + a not too soft MF towel marred my paint....

a polishing pad and a very mild polish like sonus paintwork cleanser works great for me on every Honda i have detailed until now,except of course on deep RIDS...

Check this to see what a mild polish can do http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-brag/107504-honda-accord-acura-tsx-detailing-gift.html

Is there any possibility for the car been repainted ??

motobuild
07-11-2008, 12:30 AM
How much polish are you using?

Classiks
07-11-2008, 09:45 AM
I am using 4 dabs, a bit smaller than a dime , each dab being around 1/4 " tall blobs.

I usually spray the pad with quick detailer to get it a bit moist, put the compound or polish on, apply to the paint, then use a very low speed (2 or 3) to spread it around.

Afterwards I go to speed 6 and work very slowly. I do notice that the Power Gloss dusts quite a bit and the IP not so much but they it still does. Am I putting too much?

The car hasn`t been repainted.

Pompus: That looks amazing, especially with one stage polish that is non abrasive. What other mild polishes do you recommend? Perhaps you`re right, the Honda paints are so soft that it marrs so easily.

I`m just confused how I compounded the car and did two passes of polish and those were still left behind.

Perhaps I`m not going slow or enough or enough pressure? I usually just use the weight of the PC for pressure + a very slight amount.

awahl63
07-11-2008, 10:12 AM
The white pad may be marring the soft honda paint

pampos
07-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Pompus: That looks amazing, especially with one stage polish that is non abrasive. What other mild polishes do you recommend? Perhaps you`re right, the Honda paints are so soft that it marrs so easily.

I`m just confused how I compounded the car and did two passes of polish and those were still left behind.

Perhaps I`m not going slow or enough or enough pressure? I usually just use the weight of the PC for pressure + a very slight amount.

I prefer to call me Pampos :D

I recommend Menz FPII, Menz 85RD, Sonus SFX-2 for correction and SFX-3 for finishing,Sonus paintwork cleanser and generally anything under 4 cutting power..

This may help you..

Polish Chart (http://thedetailinghandbook.com/Polish_Chart.aspx)

pampos
07-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Depends also how heavy are the swirls/scratches....For `normal` swirled car you can use those i told you with great results...For heavier damage you have to use something stronger followed with a finishing pad/polish

Classiks
07-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Oops!!! I`m terribly sorry I didn`t mean to spell your screen name wrong.

So I guess I`m just using too abrasive for the soft honda paint. I should just be using finishing polishes?

To me the scratches seem sort of deep, which is why I`m not sure why the IP couldn`t take it out. The scratches in the picture dont` seem like the marring that a polish leaves behind as they are not fine enough. These are quite visible, and I expected them to be out by the compound stage.

Anyway I`ll do some more research. I`m starting to believe in both stages I`m not breaking down the product enough. I go slow, but I guess I should make more passes to really break it down.

Thanks for the guide as well.