PDA

View Full Version : how to use body solvent??

jbone
07-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Ok,

I know it probably seems pretty straight forward but Im not sure if this supposed to be sprayed on and wiped off or washed off? And I am assuming htis is to be used after washing but before claying? I just want to make sure. And are there any precautions I should take when using this stuff? Thanks!!!

jbone
07-09-2008, 06:32 PM
oh and btw its megs body solvent

BigAl3
07-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Meguiar`s® Body Solvent changes the traditional method of removing tar, road grime, gum and other petroleum based substances. Instead of applying and scrubbing, its VOC compliant formula can now be sprayed on the surface, allowed to soak, penetrate and break down the contaminant, then wiped clean with ease.

Legacy
07-09-2008, 07:44 PM
Meguiar`s® Body Solvent changes the traditional method of removing tar, road grime, gum and other petroleum based substances. Instead of applying and scrubbing, its VOC compliant formula can now be sprayed on the surface, allowed to soak, penetrate and break down the contaminant, then wiped clean with ease.

Big Al, how does it compare to Prep Sol or Prep All? Will it remove wax? Thanks

imported_shine
07-09-2008, 07:49 PM
I`ve got a gallon of this stuff I`m about to load up a spray bottle. I plan to use it for the same purpose as the IPA 50/50 served--removing polishing oils. Has anyone tried this?

David Fermani
07-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Taking into account that I`ve never used this particular solvent, but every other solvent I`ve used kills sprayers pretty fast. Even the chemical resistent ones...

I usually keep mine in a bottle with a pop out spout.

jbone
07-09-2008, 09:08 PM
thanks for the replys, and thanks for the tip Mr. Fermani

imported_etml12
07-09-2008, 10:35 PM
I haven`t had any issues with it eating up the inside of a sprayer unlike, say, Megs wheel brightener. Been using the same bottle/sprayer since early last season. However, I`m not sure the this body solvent can replace a prep solvent. The prep solvents are very volatile and flash off quickly. Megs body solvent feels more like oil and stays on the surface for quite some time. It is great to break up tar etc. in conjunction with a wash but I don`t think you`ll be happy with it to prep the surface for LSP`s.

Legacy
07-09-2008, 10:46 PM
I haven`t had any issues with it eating up the inside of a sprayer unlike, say, Megs wheel brightener. Been using the same bottle/sprayer since early last season. However, I`m not sure the this body solvent can replace a prep solvent. The prep solvents are very volatile and flash off quickly. Megs body solvent feels more like oil and stays on the surface for quite some time. It is great to break up tar etc. in conjunction with a wash but I don`t think you`ll be happy with it to prep the surface for LSP`s.

Thanks, Ill stick with Prep Sol.

99blackSE
07-09-2008, 11:29 PM
I`ve got a gallon of this stuff I`m about to load up a spray bottle. I plan to use it for the same purpose as the IPA 50/50 served--removing polishing oils. Has anyone tried this?

I`m starting to move from IPA to solvents, simply because of using Menz and IPA potentially not removing everything. It may be more expensive but the ends justify the means I think.

salty
07-10-2008, 01:34 AM
The thing about solvents is their strength related to dwell time. IPA needs 10 to 15 seconds for mild paint cleaning. Spritzing the paint and wiping it off will not remove stubborn fillers or waxes. Lacquer thinner on the other hand, only needs seconds to do the same or more cleaning as IPA, and then LT will continue to clean and break down paint as dwell time is increased.

I use mineral spirits quite a bit for general things like glues and tar and it needs some dwell time but works well and doesn`t soften paint very quickly.

I have used products that work much faster some included Xylene in them and they work fast but you can feel the paint softening and the chemical itself is toxic to me.

I haven`t done an MSDS on Pre-Sol or others but i bet they are a mix of solvents.

I use a product from Kleen-Flo Tumbler? that is a silicone and wax remover and it works well. It has a slower evaporate rate, no where near the 2 minute dwell it says on the container, but here is the MSDS spec ingredients:

Glycol ether EE 110-80-5 1 - 5%

2-propanol 67-63-0 5 -10%

Petroleum Naphtha 64742-89-8 60-100%

Not sure where i am going with this, but wear gloves when working with solvents.