PDA

View Full Version : New Detailer - 2001 Pearl White Acura Rl - My Planned Order

DOHCrazy
07-09-2008, 11:59 AM
I own a 2001 Acura RL, pearl white. For the two years I`ve owned it, it has been regularly washed and kept clean, but it is time to get serious with the paint.

I attempted to take pictures of the swirls, but I couldn`t get good lighting in the garage. I cannot move the car until tomorrow because I had some leather restoration done yesterday afternoon.

The swirls are particularly bad on the trunk lid and hood. There is very mild orange peel on the sides of the car. Because it is white, it still looks quite good when I clean it up. I want it to look better than good. My engine and interior is already detailed and clean, it is only the paint I have neglected.

I have done some research and have a basic plan: Wash, Clay, Polish, Seal, and then Wax.

I plan on ordering most everything from autopia-carcare.com. The site is easy to use, and it seems like I can get everything I want in a one-stop-shop. I am open to other suggestion, although like I said, I`d like to get everything in one order.

Do I have enough pads/compound to do the entire vehicle? Is there anything else I need, or any better choices I should make? I have done lots of searching, but it seems like most product choices are just that: the choice of the detailer.

Once I can move the car I will take better pictures.

I already have lights and a good workshop to work in.

Wash + Pre-Wax Cleaner:

Sonus Paintwork Cleanser

Clay + Detailing Spray:

Clay Magic Perfect Finish Kit (swapped from the Sonus SFX Ultra Fine Detailing Clay)

Polisher:

1 - Porter Cable 7424

1 - 6" Backing Plate

2 - Sonus SFX-1 6" Foam Polishing Pad

2 - Sonus SFX-2 6" Foam Polishing Pad

2 - Sonus SFX-3 6" Foam Polishing Pad

2 - Sonus Micro Fiber Buffing Bonnets

Compounds:

8oz - Sonus SFX-1 Car Polish

8oz - Sonus SFX-2 Car Polish

8oz - Sonus SFX-3 Car Polish

Sealant:

10oz - Klasse All-In-One Paint Cleaner & Polish

Wax:

P21S Carnauba Car Wax

Wash Bucket:

2 - Home Depot Buckets

2 - Grit Guard Inserts

Towels:

4 - Der Wunder Micro Fiber Polishing Towel

1 - Ultima Autospa Buffing Towel

Applicator Pads:

10 - Foam Wax Applicator

DOHCrazy
07-09-2008, 12:00 PM
http://http://www.theaao.com/pics/acura/mini-IMG_1319.JPG

Lumadar
07-09-2008, 01:38 PM
I`m not a Sonus user so I can`t say much, but I would suggest a mild clay rather than an ultra-fine....it will not screw up the paint and it will work better for removing contaminants.

Also, make sure you have TWO buckets and TWO grit guards- one for normal water and one soapy. Then after each wipe down on the car with the soapy mitt put it in the plain water first and rinse, and then back to the soap bucket.

Also, in regards to you saying the swirls were worse on the truck lid and hood- be careful that you aren`t just SEEING them more there due to lighting. It`s likely they are fairly even on the car....

Good luck!

DOHCrazy
07-09-2008, 02:17 PM
I`m not a Sonus user so I can`t say much, but I would suggest a mild clay rather than an ultra-fine....it will not screw up the paint and it will work better for removing contaminants.

Also, make sure you have TWO buckets and TWO grit guards- one for normal water and one soapy. Then after each wipe down on the car with the soapy mitt put it in the plain water first and rinse, and then back to the soap bucket.

Also, in regards to you saying the swirls were worse on the truck lid and hood- be careful that you aren`t just SEEING them more there due to lighting. It`s likely they are fairly even on the car....

Good luck!

What would you recommend for a more mild clay?

Good thinking on the two buckets. I`ve read that, I just wasn`t paying attention.

wascallyrabbit
07-09-2008, 07:46 PM
you`ll want your bp to be (typically) .5-1" smaller than the pad you plan on using. you might also consider more mf towels. i`ve not used sonus products so i cann`t comment on them. have read good things about them though.