PDA

View Full Version : Starting out on my own advice

TheFrost
07-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Hello, this is my first time on this site so if there is another place for me to post this please let me know. I have been detailing over 15 years, I started out at a high end car wash in high school and I currently detail for one of the largest limo companies in north florida. I am moving to the Auburn, Alabama area and it seems there is not alot of good detailers up there. My question is what type of bay should I look for and what can I expect to pay for it. I know this varies but just wondering. I am pretty experienced with advertising and customer relations. I have had several customers around Tallahassee that I have been detailing for on a bi weekly basis for several years and I have since them become friends with my clients. I really want to do my own thing but I am worried about paying bills while the company gets going. Can I expect to make at least 30k a year to start and is it possible to make closer to a 100k. I am working on securing a small business loan so I have something to fall back on but so far I have not had any luck with that do to a low credit score. I know I have the skills and I love detailing but I wanted to get some inside info from people that do it for a living before I go out on this edge. My marketing plan will include a large amount of high end clients that live right south of where I hope to put a bay and also Auburn University. I also want to focus on advertising at some of the top notch golf courses in the area. What do I need as far as business lic go and also liability insurance if I want offer a service where I pick up the cars at the clients home/work and bring them to the bay. I really appreciate any help in this regard and I will do my best to share what I have learned over my years in the industry. Thanks, Josh

Stephenwz968
07-09-2008, 05:24 AM
Josh,

I am a mobile detailer, so I can`t offer advice on the leasing, etc., but I can tell you that a good business plan will take you far, and most banks will need to see it before giving you a loan. I would make sure to get insurance if you plan on working on high end cars (and even if you don`t). What type of advertising do you plan on doing? How many washes/waxes vs. correction details a week? How much of your budget will you need for supplies? There is money to be made out there, but you need to plan out how you`re going to tap into that market. Good luck!

Steve

Showroom Shine
07-09-2008, 05:50 AM
You have alot of work to do. You do need a good sound business plan. The name of the biz,equipment you are wanting to buy, products, cost, etc. Advertising, insurance. Can you pay the bills you have now with your detailng? Once you rent a building, you better be doing some cars. Will any of your client`s commit to using your services. It is more than you can imagine. Visit a couple local shops, and ask questions. Get your ideas on paper. If you fail to plan you plan to fail. Think about employees, you can not do all the work and manage it too. Federal Tax ID number. Insurance for your employees. I won`t even mention overhead cost associated with owning or renting a building. GAS PRICES!

Have you considered all your options? How and where are you detailing right now? Who`s driving the cars, and how far away is it? How much money do you have invested in your business right now, and on hand cash? Just a few things you need to think about. Can you keep up with the demand you have now? Business projections. Where do you plan to be in 2, 5 7, 10 years. The banks will not give you a dime without out something that at least looks good on paper,and makes sound investment sense. Credit scores are important too. If you have bad credit now, how can you run a profitable business? Get Busy.

VroomVroom
07-18-2008, 10:15 AM
You`re ambitious and have a great eye toward services...here`s wishing you all the best!

That said...wow. The first question that pops to mind: What have you learned about operations from that limo company? Running a business is a quantum leap from working for one. Accordingly - how about starting small...maybe partnering with someone else where you can add your value to an existing customer base? FWIW, this is something I`ve been pursuing, albeit on a smaller scale than what you`re after. If you can find a dealer, motorsports shop, or a high-quality repair shop, a lot of your logistical issues can be addressed easily. Not only will have a place to do your thing, you`ll have a great list of customer leads.

Lame joke time - you can make $100,000 in detailing, but you have to start with $200,000. Anyway, don`t let my cynicism get to you - good luck!

ABQDetailer
07-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Having lived in Montgomery AL for several years I`m thinking there`s not going to be much business in Auburn. I don`t know many college students that have hundreds of dollars to pour into their vehicles. Then again you might find out otherwise.

You`ll probably end up going to Montgomery to do jobs which will be 1.5 hours round trip. Be prepared to do many lifted trucks that are caked with mud and other mud-boggin` nastyness.

You know there are some amazing lakes in that area you might want to look into polishing boats...

imported_Jakerooni
07-23-2008, 09:25 AM
Wow... sometimes I wonder why anyone at all details after reading some of the advise that comes off these boards. If your determined go for it. I started my own shop here with about $7000 of my own money to invest into it. Found a building that suited my needs. Asked the landlord what he needed and then just jumped right in feet first. My first year I cleared a little over $130,000 this year is looking even better and I`m in a very low income area. So to all the nay sayers... Shut it. If you`re determined you can do it very easily.

It comes down to being in the right mindset. First off say what your going to do. Then do exactly what it is you say you will. Shotty work and broken promises are a quick way to closing the doors down. You don`t need to start out all high end chargin a gajillion friggin dollars for a detail. Start small and build your way up. Have goals.. write them down and review them constantly. Set steps to achiving these goals. (i.e. "I will contact 4 dealers this month for contracts") or "I will visit the college and put up flyers etc etc etc.. make the business your life and you really can`t fail at it. Your insurences fed ID numbers etc etc etc and everything else you need to legitimatly run a buisness are specific to your local. Hop online and google it. those are all minor details because they`ll be addressed before you`re allowed to open the doors. Don`t sweat the small stuff. And don`t fall for all the hype. Niche yourself and stick with what works for you.

imported_d00t
07-23-2008, 10:38 AM
I 100% agree with you. When I posted a similar subject in the marketing section, they didn`t believe I was going to work out just because I didn`t post my exact business plan. I have no seen one person on here, or ever, post exactly how they intend on doing business because it`s they`re thinking, and if it`s good enough, someone could take it.

Go for it a don`t look back! Take steps at a time.. like me and my investor are doing. 4 or so grand to start from home, then as business grows we will invest more and more until business is booming to go full mobile/with a shop.

Good luck on your ventures! Just be persistent! Hand out a few free (or next to nothing) details to friends/family in the beginning to help get the word out, but be sure to take pics for your portfolio as a "payment"!

Edit:

Jack, that is an amazing story! $130k in a year? Right on man! You`ve got the right idea! :)

imported_JoshVette
07-23-2008, 09:21 PM
Hey Jake, what is your overhead like??

The poster asked about what shops cost to opperate but you didn`t really say anything about it and I know you run one so you would be perfect to answer his questions??

If it were me, I`d say get a part time job to pay the bills and start out mobile until you build up a reputation for yourself enough to support your lifestyle.

Josh

David Fermani
07-23-2008, 11:08 PM
My first year I cleared a little over $130,000 this year is looking even better and I`m in a very low income area. So to all the nay sayers... Shut it. If you`re determined you can do it very easily.

Did you gross $130,000 or was that your profit after expenses? Big difference.

imported_Jakerooni
07-24-2008, 12:38 PM
That of course was gross. My start up cost were minimal. My overhead is reletively small thanks in part to my location really. My single biggest expense every month is a fight between my utlility bill and my rent. I was able to stock up with some bulk on high use items (like soap and dressing) I pay $500/mth for rent here (it`s a $1000 but I split it with a mechanic that has a couple bays in here) But basically molded myself into making this work. I didnt go in saying I plan on paying x amount for this or that. I got started and saw how the bills were coming in and molded my business around making those numbers work for me. Again just having the right mindset to make things work is all it really takes.

LeadingEdgeDetail
08-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Way to go Jake (is that your name?)

Sounds like you got a damn good start on one helluva business. And you know as well as I do that as long as you keep going as you are, things will look nothing but up.

I am hoping to start something like what you`re doing, but I have winter to contend with... Wondering what I am going to do from november to the end of March when there is snow and below freezing temperatures....