PDA

View Full Version : Should I worry about the dust?

Pages : [1] 2

nlkccom
07-08-2008, 03:05 PM
I wash my car every week, but since it`s black, and it`s not parked in garage, it gets dusty a day or two after I wash it. I wanted to wipe it down using Meg UQD and MF between washes, and as needed, However, should I be worried about the dust on the car when I`m wiping? Will I be creating a bunch of tiny scratches doing it this way?

BlueZero
07-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Depends on how much dust and what kind of dust. Maybe try a small area and see what happens.

qwertydude
07-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Before I use a spray detailer I usually just use a car car duster to knock off as much loose dust. That way I`m wiping less dust off and less scratch risk. I haven`t had a duster scratch yet. To rejuvenate a dirty duster I just wash it in a machine and spray it down with pledge.

ptaylor_9849
07-08-2008, 05:06 PM
It all depends on how finicky you are about your finish. If you are a true Autopian you probably wouldn`t dream of wiping a dusty black car. Dust is nothing more than tiny dirt particles. Wipe dust across your paint and you will micro marr or worse, swirl the paint. Resist the urge and wash it whenever possible. Otherwise, sell it and don`t buy black again.

Patrick

rjom
07-08-2008, 05:32 PM
I also have a black car (but garaged) that picks up dust. I like to keep it clean, and hate when it is not. For those dusty days when I just want to be lazy yet still have a clean and shiny black car, I purchased a Gilmour Foam gun. I dry with a leaf blower cuz I still don`t trust that there isn`t dirt I would be wiping around with an MF. Only takes me ten minutes, as opposed to the normal 45 minute, two bucket wash. Again, this is just for dust. If it has rained, I use the mitts, foam gum pre-rinse, and two bucket.

blownvert
07-08-2008, 05:40 PM
I also have a black car (but garaged) that picks up dust. I like to keep it clean, and hate when it is not. For those dusty days when I just want to be lazy yet still have a clean and shiny black car, I purchased a Gilmour Foam gun. I dry with a leaf blower cuz I still don`t trust that there isn`t dirt I would be wiping around with an MF. Only takes me ten minutes, as opposed to the normal 45 minute, two bucket wash. Again, this is just for dust. If it has rained, I use the mitts and two bucket.

Im in the same position, I just dont have a leaf blower. So you foam gun it and then blow it dry thats it? Takes 10 minutes thats pretty quick :) So basically dont take the chances of just doing a QD with a MF towel, basically wash it, but if it only has dust, then i can just foam gun it then it soak then spray it off and then just QD while wet then dry. Dont you get the wheels wet so you have to dry off?

Eliot Ness
07-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Im in the same position, I just dont have a leaf blower. ................BigAl3 highly recommends this one for $26.76 at Wal-Mart:

Walmart.com : Weed Eater WEB150 Electric Blower : Lawn & Garden Supplies (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4910793)

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/02/47/61/01/0002476101554_500X500.jpg

rjom
07-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Im in the same position, I just dont have a leaf blower. So you foam gun it and then blow it dry thats it? Takes 10 minutes thats pretty quick :) So basically dont take the chances of just doing a QD with a MF towel, basically wash it, but if it only has dust, then i can just foam gun it then it soak then spray it off and then just QD while wet then dry. Dont you get the wheels wet so you have to dry off?

I don`t QD after this, just after a good wash. Again, as others have said, it is so easy to scratch black. I figure the leaf blower can do the job pretty good. Foam gun + sheeting+ leaf blower = touchless.

I also pretty much clean my wheels every day. I have PB Sealant on it, so the brake dust just wipes right off.

blownvert
07-08-2008, 07:12 PM
i just washed my car, dont ask its night time. I did foam gun, then just washed off with hose then sprayed QD, then WW wipe down. I did not really do sheeting off because i have shut off valve on with fire hose nozzle. I would have to go back to spicket turn the water down then come back take off everything, well i have to unscrew shut off valve to be complete off. Lazy :) This was going good because it provided extra lube but my WW was getting very damp so it was not picking up the water good on the other half of the car so there was some water spots creating. So looking at that leaf blower, dont you think you would be putting more dust on it if by accident you point it to the ground?

imported_shine
07-08-2008, 08:02 PM
It all depends on how finicky you are about your finish. If you are a true Autopian you probably wouldn`t dream of wiping a dusty black car. Dust is nothing more than tiny dirt particles. Wipe dust across your paint and you will micro marr or worse, swirl the paint. Resist the urge and wash it whenever possible. Otherwise, sell it and don`t buy black again.

Patrick

I agree with Patrick. Live with the dust or wash it again.

BigJimZ28
07-08-2008, 08:09 PM
i just washed my car, dont ask its night time. I did foam gun, then just washed off with hose then sprayed QD, then WW wipe down.

if I did that to my car it would swirl it:mad:

I did not really do sheeting off because i have shut off valve on with fire hose nozzle. I would have to go back to spicket turn the water down then come back take off everything, well i have to unscrew shut off valve to be complete off. Lazy :)

dude just fold the hose to put a kink in it and stop the water flow:secret

So looking at that leaf blower, dont you think you would be putting more dust on it if by accident you point it to the ground?

the ground will be wet

and the water will hold down the dust

rjom
07-09-2008, 03:47 AM
i just washed my car, dont ask its night time. I did foam gun, then just washed off with hose then sprayed QD, then WW wipe down. I did not really do sheeting off because i have shut off valve on with fire hose nozzle. I would have to go back to spicket turn the water down then come back take off everything, well i have to unscrew shut off valve to be complete off. Lazy :) This was going good because it provided extra lube but my WW was getting very damp so it was not picking up the water good on the other half of the car so there was some water spots creating. So looking at that leaf blower, dont you think you would be putting more dust on it if by accident you point it to the ground?

I only point it at the car. I hold the tube as well as the handle. No, I don`t worry about that.

BlackElantraGT
07-09-2008, 04:40 AM
black is a never ending battle. i would just learn to live with the dust. you wash your car on a weekly basis so your car probably looks better than most cars on the road.

blownvert
07-09-2008, 06:00 AM
if I did that to my car it would swirl it:mad:

dude just fold the hose to put a kink in it and stop the water flow:secret

the ground will be wet

and the water will hold down the dust

it only had light dust it not any lol. I have realy maintained it the past couple of days since i just buffed it last week. So i dont think i induced any swirls :nervous:

VTechFan02
07-09-2008, 11:27 AM
I wouldn`t QD a dusty car because, especially overtime, it is likely to swirl. Why not try an ONR wash every few days to keep up with it or take it to the local touchless wash. It may not get it completely clean (unless your finish is very slick) but it would at least not look dusty any more and will not mar the finish.

-Frank