PDA

View Full Version : Review: Meguiar`s UQD

RobD
07-08-2008, 02:36 PM
* I added this to the review section, but I thought I`d share it here, too.

Just tried UQD for the first time. The other QD`s I currently use are #425, DG Marine Detailer, Z6 and a few others.

I never really liked Meguiar`s fine mist sprayer, but you get used to it. It`s fine for use indoors, but the breeze carries some of the product away when used outside. Otherwise, the bottle is a nice shape and the graphics are attractive.

It has a nice, clean smell. Thankfully, it`s different than the NXT products` Key Lime smell, which I don`t care for.

UQD speads easily and clears out quickly. I had no trouble with streaking (indoors, cool finish). It works very well on glass, too. Cleaning power is good, it removes bugs and light waterspotting well.

UQD looks good on my silver and white cars (I also tried it on my red tool box). I wouldn`t say the look blows you away, but it leaves a nice gloss. I would say the look is similar to #425, but not in Z8`s league (which is a different type of product, of course). Z6 looks better on the white car than either #425 or UQD. On the silver car, the three look similar. [my cars have a base of either Zaino or AJ with post wash applications of AW or Z8]

Slickness is good, but not super. Water beading is ok, but I wouldn`t say it`s as good as they claim. It does sheet water very well, however.

All in all, it`s a good product. I feel the price is a little high, though. I`d say $7.99 for the 22oz. bottle is more appropriate.

BlueZero
07-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Try the M135 spray bottle if you want a different spray pattern. It`s not as fine of a mist.

BigAl3
07-08-2008, 03:09 PM
it`s a good product, but i like FK425 a little better...

RobD
07-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Try the M135 spray bottle if you want a different spray pattern. It`s not as fine of a mist.

I have other spray bottles, it`s no big deal.

I was reviewing the product, and the sprayer is part of the total package, so I wanted to mention it.

RobD
07-08-2008, 03:22 PM
it`s a good product, but i like FK425 a little better...

Ultimately (no pun), I`d have to agree with you. I`m not sorry I bought UQD, however. I`ll definitely use it.

ManiZ
07-08-2008, 06:01 PM
I was quite disappointed with my UQD purchase. I can`t get it to give more than a muted glow on my bright red paint, no matter what my LSP may be. My home-mixed concoction of 425/QS/AW/OCW with a dash of ONR is the best QD I have ever used; best shine, water repellancy and cleaning ability period.

StealthMode
07-08-2008, 06:25 PM
I love UQD, I usually spray it on as I dry after I wash and it always looks great. Water beads like crazy, even after a couple washes with nothing but UQD. Speaking of which, I am almost out...

rjom
07-08-2008, 06:44 PM
I use UQD and 425 I love them both. I have applied them side by side on my panels, and can not really distinguish a difference between them. I know UQD lasts more than one wash, not sure yet about 425. I have found UQD on sale at BJ`s 2 for $15. I saw it at Target today for $6...YMMV (usually 9.99)

RDAVEX7
07-08-2008, 07:06 PM
I tested UQD on a 2001 white chevy van that has never been detailed or waxed as far a I know. It also had reflective decals on it that are a maroon type red and purple/ blue. The paint was alittle more reflective and the decals really popped in the sun. Its not bad stuff IMO.

I am currently getting some good results with the Sonus Acrylic Spritz with 10 drops of KSG in the bottle. For this experiment I used the Sonus SFX-2, SFX-3, followed by KSG. Maybe it works well because the two brands compliment each other.

BlueLibby04
07-08-2008, 09:16 PM
I use UQD and 425 I love them both. I have applied them side by side on my panels, and can not really distinguish a difference between them. I know UQD lasts more than one wash, not sure yet about 425. I have found UQD on sale at BJ`s 2 for $15. I saw it at Target today for $6...YMMV (usually 9.99)

Same here. Just used it today on the front clip of my Jeep and Im always amazed with that just waxed look and feel that it gives. The beading also seems to last a good while. Since I can find it locally for just $10 its a winner for me. :)

dave40co
07-09-2008, 12:01 AM
I like the UQD on light colors but it seems smeary on my wife`s blue 01 Grand Am

jordanrossbell
07-09-2008, 12:22 AM
For those of you that really like this product, you should consider getting Meguiar`s M135...it is essentially the same product but available in a gallon size...autodetailingsolutions has it for 28.99/gallon... better than 10 bucks for 22 oz!!!