PDA

View Full Version : Buffing my small swirl black car with PC 7424 and some polish

snakey51389
07-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Im going to be buffing my car today with a PC7424 to get rid of some small scratches i have throughout the car. Its a 95 chevy impala with only 59k on it! original paint and it looks great with no rust at all and never driven in the winter. The paint looks good but up close it has the usual small swirls throughout the car from the previous owner and such. It would probably look great with a coat of wax but i want perfection! or atleast close to it.

After i wash and clay today what do you suggest i polish the car with? I have the "pinnacle xmt" series polishers and LC pads. For the pads i have, orange light cutting(which is shot!),white polisher, Gray finishing and blue finessing. For the polishers i have xmt#1 and #3, and finishing glaze.

Should i use these polishers or what would you guys suggest i use to get rid of the common swirls? Any suggestions are wanted!! thanks!

snakey51389
07-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Anyone?????

Well i used xmt#1 fine swirl remover with the white polishing pad for my hood and then i used xmt#2 medium swirl remover that my friend had with an orange cutting pad for my front bumper since it was worse than the hood. After the polisher i went over it all with the glaze and finishing pad. Then ran it over with some sealant wax to pretect it all. It took me a good hour and a half or so just with the hood and front bumper.

It looks alot better than what is was but there are still some swirls in the hood and bumper. I kinda ran out of time and missed some things. Would you guys suggest going over the hood with the xmt#2 swirl remover to get rid of the little deeper scratches or is that a little much? Like i said i am very pleased how it came out in the end, but i know there`s some room for improvement. Any help is great! thanks guys.

Jscort98
07-09-2008, 11:26 AM
I`d go with the orange and xmt 2 to try to get the deeper stuff out. If that doesn`t work you might have to step up to a stronger polish, but remember that there are some scratches that you can`t get out with a DA. Usually if your fingernail gets caught in it the only thing you can do is make it less noticable. Good luck.

99blackSE
07-09-2008, 11:53 PM
Perfection is great. However, can you afford to bestow perfection upon it? The only cars I would probably ever try to get perfect are Sunday only types. I just finished round 2 of hell via PC against my Civic and while most of the panels are probably 85-95% defect free, it`s got me thinking was it worth it, or even a smart move to do?

This car most likely will go through at least a bit of hell in winter, not to mention bugs, etc, and coupled with the soft paint it may just be a waste, and not worth removing any more paint off of it if it`s just going to get marred up nice in a year or less.

What`s the lesser of evils I guess is what I`m getting it. I would love to have the deeper RIDS completely off of my car but in the long term it may not be beneficial.

snakey51389
07-10-2008, 01:19 AM
Well i have a winter beater and this car is going to be stored during the winter. It doesnt need to be perfect, because i know im not that good, but i want something that looks a brand new car off the lot. Like i said the paint is great and now my hood, fender and bumper look even better but i know theres still a little room for improvement. I would just need a full day to do that. Getting up at 9am and ending at 7pm would probably be the time i needed to do the full car. Its just i got this new car with great paint and i want to keep it that way.

99blackSE
07-10-2008, 07:11 AM
Well i have a winter beater and this car is going to be stored during the winter. It doesnt need to be perfect, because i know im not that good, but i want something that looks a brand new car off the lot. Like i said the paint is great and now my hood, fender and bumper look even better but i know theres still a little room for improvement. I would just need a full day to do that. Getting up at 9am and ending at 7pm would probably be the time i needed to do the full car. Its just i got this new car with great paint and i want to keep it that way.

Ah so it`s a summer deal. In that case I`d giver a whirl, and post some afters :).

VTechFan02
07-10-2008, 07:23 AM
You can achieve perfection at any experience level if you know the proper techniques and put in the time. I would try to get it as best as you can without spending more then a couple days polishing. It will be very slow but with patience (and a lot of sweat) you will be very happy. Remember to move the polisher very slow (1-2 in/sec) and use light to moderate pressure.

Also, remember that you don`t have to do the whole car in one session. If you can only dedicate a few hours here and there then just concentrate on 1 or 2 panels at a time.

Good luck!

-Frank

snakey51389
07-10-2008, 10:24 AM
You can achieve perfection at any experience level if you know the proper techniques and put in the time. I would try to get it as best as you can without spending more then a couple days polishing. It will be very slow but with patience (and a lot of sweat) you will be very happy. Remember to move the polisher very slow (1-2 in/sec) and use light to moderate pressure.

Also, remember that you don`t have to do the whole car in one session. If you can only dedicate a few hours here and there then just concentrate on 1 or 2 panels at a time.

Good luck!

-Frank Yeah thats kinda what ive been doing. wouldnt i have to wash the car over everytime i went to buff though? wouldnt want dust and stuff being buffed into the paint.

VTechFan02
07-10-2008, 11:22 AM
Absolutely, unless you have a garage and are only waiting no more then 24 hours between sessions. In that case you could just litely QD and then polish. If time is of the essence you could only wash the panels you will be working on and not the whole car.

-Frank