PDA

View Full Version : Once and for all: Interior Wood Polishes

Pages : [1] 2

Eisen Hulk
07-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Hey, guys.

I`m sure this has been talked about many times already on here, but I can`t seem to find a definitive answer. When polishing/protecting wood trim, what is your go to product?

Thanks in advance.

Way2SSlow
07-07-2008, 02:57 PM
On all the cars that I`ve done, I have just used AIO. It cleans them well and they look great when finished. I`ve never dealt with wood trim with a bunch of marring though.

Eisen Hulk
07-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Thanks, man. So Klasse AIO would be ok, correct?

I`d like to hear some input on what people use for heavily marred wood.

On all the cars that I`ve done, I have just used AIO. It cleans them well and they look great when finished. I`ve never dealt with wood trim with a bunch of marring though.

Eliot Ness
07-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Thanks, man. So Klasse AIO would be ok, correct?

I`d like to hear some input on what people use for heavily marred wood.Yeah Casey, K-AIO (with a gentle hand and cloth) works pretty well.

You have to be careful because some of the finishes on interior wood is pretty thin. You can sometimes tell by looking closely how much finish you have to work with. K-AIO has some very mild abrasives along with a chemical cleaner. I`ve never had to use anything more abrasive than AIO and you`ll be surprised how nicely wood cleans up with that.

Eisen Hulk
07-07-2008, 03:57 PM
Thanks, John.

You saw the jug of K-AIO in my garage....I think I have enough. Hahahaha.

Yeah Casey, K-AIO (with a gentle hand and cloth) works pretty well.

You have to be careful because some of the finishes on interior wood is pretty thin. You can sometimes tell by looking closely how much finish you have to work with. K-AIO has some very mild abrasives along with a chemical cleaner. I`ve never had to use anything more abrasive than AIO and you`ll be surprised how nicely wood cleans up with that.

imported_themightytimmah
07-07-2008, 04:50 PM
I like acrylic glazes like EZ-Creme for minor damage.

I might be getting a newish car (Avalon) with trashed wood, and I`m thinking of trying 6000+ grit paper to restore it. The cut on superfine papers (model plane type) is more even than most mild compounds by hand.

imported_dpaulyn
07-07-2008, 07:28 PM
I used Meguiar`s ScratchX very successfully to remove superficial marring in wood finish (which is coated in any case - you are not relly dealing with the wood underneath) and then finished off same as paint finish - and quick detailer to give it that extra shine. Looks good now.

detaildoc
07-07-2008, 08:02 PM
Phil At DD recommended me to use Menzerna RD. I tried it and it worked great.

imported_Totoland Mach
07-08-2008, 05:31 AM
I use plain Pledge at the shop on BMW wood trim. Works great! Fills light scratches and leaves a very glossy finish. I spray the product on a mf towel and wipe the trim.

Cheap Too!

Toto

imported_themightytimmah
07-08-2008, 06:11 AM
I use plain Pledge at the shop on BMW wood trim. Works great! Fills light scratches and leaves a very glossy finish. I spray the product on a mf towel and wipe the trim.

Toto

I hear it works on paint, too :chuckle:

Eliot Ness
07-08-2008, 06:53 AM
If you`re working on some wood that actually has some scratches that go through the finish then you might want to try some OLD ENGLISH® Scratch Cover (http://www.oldenglishpolish.com/sf2_scratch.shtml). It comes in a formula for both light and dark colored wood. I always liked to follow that up with a good wood wax (https://www.paint-store.net/store/home.php?cat=380) or even some Pledge like Toto mentioned. Anyone who deals with wood, especially antiques, will have a bottle of Old English close by.

BuffMe
07-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Keep in mind that not all interior trims have the same protective covering. Some are epoxy, some are clear, and I suppose there could be others. The first step is identifying which it is.

Eisen Hulk
07-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Interesting. Is there an easy way to do so?

Keep in mind that not all interior trims have the same protective covering. Some are epoxy, some are clear, and I suppose there could be others. The first step is identifying which it is.

BuffMe
07-08-2008, 12:04 PM
The corrective procedures for polishing shouldn`t differ that much other than abrasion levels necessary. So, starting with the least aggressive is always the best. However, if it is deep scratching, I`m not sure whether or not epoxy can be brought back to a high gloss like clear can after sanding. Hopefully someone can chime in with more knowledge in that area.

Accumulator
07-08-2008, 12:11 PM
I`ve gone as aggressive as 3M PI-III MG 05937, but I usually keep it milder than that.

For protection, if I`m not using my old jar of Zymol Interior Wood Wax, I just use some other LSP, whatever seems easiest to keep off surrounding surfaces. I *have* been using my old VM for an AIO version of this too, and it seems to work well.

For gentle cleaning when AIO isn`t necessary, I usually just use some kind of QD. Had been using #34 for years, but now I`ve been reaching for FK146.