PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Hand Holding

wacomme
07-07-2008, 09:38 AM
This will be my first detailing job in over three years, and my first with a UDM or any kind of machine. I`m planning on detailing a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport (green metallic) and a 1996 BMW 318ti (red). Both have been detailed several years ago using 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and One-Grand wax (by hand), but both vehicles have largely been neglected since — monthly washings and garaged.

I have already clayed my wife`s Jeep (I`m starting with her vehicle first :)) using Ultima Elastrofoam. Today I plan to rewash the Jeep, tape off the trim, and get started polishing and sealing. My primary products are UPPP for polishing and UPGP for sealing. I also was talked into buying Sonus SFX-1 and a SFX white pad. I`ve read the forum and watches the machine polishing videos.

What I`m concerned about is over-polishing and cutting through the clear coats too far. I don`t want the expense of repainting or cutting through the clear coat so far that future polishings will be prohibitive. This article on polishing scared me to death (http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/80225-polishing-paint-perfection.html). I presume my best strategy is to start with UPPP and the orange polishing pad in hope that this alone will be sufficient to remove imperfections and shine the paint surface. If not, I can then use Sonus SFX-1 and the white pad on troublesome areas before returning to UPPP and the orange pad.

Also, how do I polish narrow strips of paint that are too thin for the 6" pads? Do I polish these areas by hand?

Anyway, before I get out the pads and start polishing away, I need a little reassurance that I`m doing the right thing. Comments and suggestions would be most appreciated too.

Thank you.

Michael