PDA

View Full Version : Where do you draw the line on a "basic" cleaning?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jean-Claude
07-05-2008, 08:52 PM
I`ve come across quite a few jobs where the car was totally neglected on the inside. Spending 30+ minutes just to get a thorough vacuum job done kinda-work. Sand and heavy soiling.

I personally have a hard time cutting myself off. Vacuuming is such a "basic" on interior cleanings. How in the world do you handle situations where it`s so filthy but a time-consuming vacuum job would take care of it? It`s one thing when I am already charging $45 for a basic interior cleaning. It`s another when I quote a group of folks $45 for basic int/ext on a small car and each one needs an hour and half for the "basic" due to being neglected.

Is there a point where you tell them you only spend so much time on an area like that?

Thomas Dekany
07-05-2008, 09:00 PM
I`ve come across quite a few jobs where the car was totally neglected on the inside. Spending 30+ minutes just to get a thorough vacuum job done kinda-work. Sand and heavy soiling.

I personally have a hard time cutting myself off. Vacuuming is such a "basic" on interior cleanings. How in the world do you handle situations where it`s so filthy but a time-consuming vacuum job would take care of it? It`s one thing when I am already charging $45 for a basic interior cleaning. It`s another when I quote a group of folks $45 for basic int/ext on a small car and each one needs an hour and half for the "basic" due to being neglected.

Is there a point where you tell them you only spend so much time on an area like that?

At $45 you should work close to an hour on the interior.

Holden_C04
07-05-2008, 09:02 PM
To give you perspective, I charge $199.99 to start for an interior detail. I usually get them done in two, maybe three hours. That`s light soil, maybe one stain, and the windows to clean.

Jean-Claude
07-05-2008, 09:12 PM
At $45 you should work close to an hour on the interior.

I think you missed what I said.

imported_JoshVette
07-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Never do less work that leaves the car still looking dirty, just charge more on heavily neglected vehicles....:think2

Josh

Envious Eric
07-05-2008, 11:25 PM
price it out ahead of time...make sure they are comfortable with an hourly rate and stick to it...

ask people if they want it looking its best...if they say yes, tell them its X/hr and an estimate of 2-4 hours...

Twista616
07-06-2008, 09:14 AM
Example...I did a full detail...quoted the guy after I inspected the car...is was an X5...in the rear there was excessive dog hair...i charged an extra hour to remove it...but what I didnt realize, the dog hair was ALL over the car..under seats everywhere...

..since I already quoted him for the job already, I couldn`t go back and charge more...bad business practices...but i removed every piece of dog hair...took forever, may have costed me some money, but I didnt half *** the job...it paid off since the client had me do 3 other cars he has...

Just dont sell yourself short...tell them upfront...this its what its going to cost...and let them know, you dont do half *** work...(dont say it like that though!)

Anthony O.
07-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Example...I did a full detail...quoted the guy after I inspected the car...is was an X5...in the rear there was excessive dog hair...i charged an extra hour to remove it...but what I didnt realize, the dog hair was ALL over the car..under seats everywhere...

..since I already quoted him for the job already, I couldn`t go back and charge more...bad business practices...but i removed every piece of dog hair...took forever, may have costed me some money, but I didnt half *** the job...it paid off since the client had me do 3 other cars he has...

Just dont sell yourself short...tell them upfront...this its what its going to cost...and let them know, you dont do half *** work...(dont say it like that though!)

The above is the correct way to go about it. :up

Many years ago I stopped doing "detail packages" and instead went for an hourly rate. So when someone calls or talks with me and the age old question is asked, "Hey, how much for a detail?" My reply is now,

"Well, what do you mean by detail? Do you want a wash and wax because I can do that for $80.00 or are you looking to have the interior and exterior completely gone through, every nook and cranny and Q-tipped?"

Now the original post -

A great tool to have with you is an air compressor. On those cars with all types of small particles strewn about the carpets and under the seats it can be a huge time saver as it allows you to blow the majority either out of the car or at least loosen a lot of it to make for easier vacuuming. You can also use your compressor to apply tire dressings.

In your case then you need to pre-define what you mean by "basic vacuum" to your customers.

Potential client - "Hey, how much for a wash and vacuum?"

You - "Well my normal price is AROUND $XX.00 for a basic wash and vacuum on a 4 door sedan but if you allow me to look at the car I can give you an exact price?"

This allows you to give the potential client 2 prices, maybe even 3 prices. The first price is to wash it plus a thorough vacuum, meaning you`ll get under the seats, the vents and as much dog hair, sand, etc. as possible up and out of the car.

The next price is a standard wash and vacuum while the possible third price could be for stain removal, etc.

Personally I go by an hourly rate. If you`re spending over an hour on an interior and exterior and only charging $45.00 then you most likely are making little to no profit when you take into account your cost for products, towels, tools, gas to get there if mobile, etc.

If no one listens to anything I ever post up that`s fine BUT they would be fools to not listen to this one piece of advice......never sell yourself out of your own livelihood.

Anthony

mixxer
07-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Great thread ! Yea i just got caught a couple weeks ago quoting a combo package for 150 on a new suv which includes

CAR

Exterior-

includes hand wash, outside glass machine polished and sealed, tires cleaned and dressed, rims cleaned, basic bug and tar removal, exterior trim dressed, door jams and sills cleaned and wax or sealant of choice.

Interior-

includes vacuum, floor mats cleaned, wipe down and clean, uv protection, inside windows

*** Combination special - $130 + ***

20 bucks extra for small suv.

Since the suv was new i assumed it was in good shape but when i started the interior it had dog hair all over and it was caught in the carpet fibers and the seats, it took for ever ,but i bit the bullet cleaned it to the best of my ability ,and honored my price but i wont assume anything any more . Leason learned.

Anthony O.
07-06-2008, 10:49 AM
mixxer,

In the future carry with you some surgical gloves and wear them while rubbing your hand over the dog hair. This will quickly and easily gather up all hair, human and pet, to an area which can then be easily vacuumed.

An alternative is to have a bottle filled with fabric softner and water, mixed I think 6 parts water to 1 part softner, and spray this on the carpets and fabric seats. It negates the charge which holds hair to the carpets. I have also heard of guys using a fabric softner sheet but I only use and prefer the latex gloves as they hold multiple purposes.

Anthony

mixxer
07-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Thx for the tip!

Holden_C04
07-06-2008, 12:57 PM
mixxer,

In the future carry with you some surgical gloves and wear them while rubbing your hand over the dog hair. This will quickly and easily gather up all hair, human and pet, to an area which can then be easily vacuumed.

An alternative is to have a bottle filled with fabric softner and water, mixed I think 6 parts water to 1 part softner, and spray this on the carpets and fabric seats. It negates the charge which holds hair to the carpets. I have also heard of guys using a fabric softner sheet but I only use and prefer the latex gloves as they hold multiple purposes.

Anthony

Good post! ;)

Jean-Claude
07-06-2008, 05:44 PM
Great thread ! Yea i just got caught a couple weeks ago quoting a combo package for 150 on a new suv which includes

CAR

Exterior-

includes hand wash, outside glass machine polished and sealed, tires cleaned and dressed, rims cleaned, basic bug and tar removal, exterior trim dressed, door jams and sills cleaned and wax or sealant of choice.

Interior-

includes vacuum, floor mats cleaned, wipe down and clean, uv protection, inside windows

*** Combination special - $130 + ***

20 bucks extra for small suv.

Since the suv was new i assumed it was in good shape but when i started the interior it had dog hair all over and it was caught in the carpet fibers and the seats, it took for ever ,but i bit the bullet cleaned it to the best of my ability ,and honored my price but i wont assume anything any more . Leason learned.

This is what I was talking about.

Not seeing a car, giving a price based on the exact issues(and what they want done). But a "basic" job that folks want a quote on for what is really normally basic work....then it turning into a monster job.

I ALWAYS honor what I quote a customer. But is there a way to quote a "basic" job and leave room to adjust(telling them of course) for completely neglected jobs? Like saying, "My basic covers xx,xx,xxx under normal conditions. If you`ve got hair or sand covering your floors the price may vary. If it is not covered I will tell you before hand and give you the option to have it cleaned up or not if you choose."

Any way to pull that off and still be professional? Or is this just one of the necessary evils of the business?

Twista616
07-06-2008, 06:52 PM
mixxer,

Anthony

Another option, IM sure you will hear plenty of them...what worked for me was the rubber gloves you wash dished with...they have grips on the pamls and fingers, 10 times better than surgical gloves...

pictures for viewing:

Rubber Dish gloves:

http://uploader.ws/upload/200807/2005_BMW_X5_Full_Detail8delete.jpg

A TON of Dog Hair...

http://uploader.ws/upload/200807/2005_BMW_X5_Full_Detail9delete.jpg

Finished Product...

http://uploader.ws/upload/200807/2005_BMW_X5_Full_Detail10_delete.jpg

bwalker25
07-06-2008, 07:34 PM
You could say "My basic package starts at $xx this leaves room for adjustment" Then when they ask well what do you mean by starts at $xx you can simply tell them well sight unseen its very hard to tell you exactly how much this will cost. You can explain that size DOES matter in detailing, and size cost more and dirtiness cost more.

I like using "Starts At" I use it in all my flyers and with all my customers on the phone and in person....