PDA

View Full Version : Cure time for Klasse SG before topping with Carnauba?

DeTango
07-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Does Sealant Glaze need to cure the full 24 hours before you can top with Carnauba wax?

I started and did half a hood with Zymol Carbon right after the second application of SG and thought, "duh". I understand that the SG needs time to cure so it can cross-link and that another application of SG before it has fully cross linked disrupts it (presumably because the solvent in the SG will disrupt the cross-linking and undo the curing that has occurred) but does a carnauba wax`s solvents disrupt too?

And if it did need to cure (oops)...do I have to start all over again with AOI, or can I just apply new SG on top and rebuild a couple of layers of it (with cure time)?

Thanks, all.

Dave

Accumulator
07-04-2008, 10:36 AM
DeTango- The conventional wisdom is that you need to wait, but I dunno how valid that really is. I myself would wait, but then I don`t top my KSG anyhow as I prefer to add more from time to time.

Note you shouldn`t just add more KSG to the area you already waxed; once you wax the KSG won`t bond any more. So yeah, once you`ve waxed you oughta redo the AIO before redoing the KSG.

FWIW, I always do at least four layers of KSG, otherwise it doesn`t impress me all that much (looks, durability, or protection), but that`s just me.

Douxebris
07-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Klasse says wait 8-12 hours between coats.

3puttjay
07-04-2008, 10:57 PM
If you got it on than I wouldn`t sweat it. The zymol carbon will be gone within 2 months so you can just get your car ready for the winter with a fresh detail using your AIO then several layers of SG.

DeTango
07-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Yah, that`s what I feared and expected. Put some more on in the fall. Gotta AIO again though...

I`ll monitor it and see if I can see any difference in the sides of the hood after the Zymol is gone.