PDA

View Full Version : Backing Plates

pampos
07-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Except the size and the life time are there any other difference between them??

Accumulator
07-04-2008, 09:49 AM
pampos- The flexible ones *are* more flexible than the ridgid ones. And there are some thick ones from Meguiar`s, with IIRC (haven`t used `em myself) foam sandwiched in there too. I can think of about four notably different types (yellow flex, PC hard rubber, rigid, Meguiar`s syle). Then there are the "reverse velcro" ones that (IIRC) 3M uses.

pampos
07-04-2008, 10:23 AM
pampos- The flexible ones *are* more flexible than the ridgid ones. And there are some thick ones from Meguiar`s, with IIRC (haven`t used `em myself) foam sandwiched in there too. I can think of about four notably different types (yellow flex, PC hard rubber, rigid, Meguiar`s syle). Then there are the "reverse velcro" ones that (IIRC) 3M uses.

and i guess that the flexible ones are better for UDM,aren`t they??

Accumulator
07-04-2008, 10:32 AM
and i guess that the flexible ones are better for UDM,aren`t they??

I can`t say as I have no experience with the UDM. But *I* prefer the flex plates on the machines I use.

pampos
07-04-2008, 11:27 AM
I can`t say as I have no experience with the UDM. But *I* prefer the flex plates on the machines I use.

bumoftheday
07-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Can anyone think of any downsides to using a hard plastic custom backing plate? I have the Griott`s orbital and would like to get a smaller plate. I have access to an FDM machine (rapid prototype).

Accumulator
07-05-2008, 12:03 PM
Can anyone think of any downsides to using a hard plastic custom backing plate? I have the Griott`s orbital and would like to get a smaller plate. I have access to an FDM machine (rapid prototype).

In some instances I press hard enough that the flexible plates comform to a surface better than a rigid one would. Using a thick(er) pad might help a bit, but in some cases I really prefer having the pad flex a little.

OTOH, I use some rigid plates too, and I`m hard-pressed to think of an instance where the lack of flexibility actually caused a problem (thinking....OK, on the XJS`s weird contours, but hey, that`s an odd car).