PDA

View Full Version : KAIO failed me or I failed it!?!?!

murf'n'surf
07-02-2008, 03:18 PM
I ran into a black Aston Martin Vantage with lots of spider webs and scratches from an aggresive clay bar. I used a PC with orange pad and KAIO -- after 2 rounds of buffing ALL scratches were gone in the halogen light and in the sunlight. The car sat in an A/C garage for 36 hours and then I applied 2 coats of KSG both 4 hours apart. After these steps the paint looked so deep and wet I was amazed. After 1 week of sitting in the garage and ONE trip out in the hot sun, the deeper clay bar scratches are back!! Where did I go wrong? I am guessing that the KAIO should not say on the bottle that it REMOVES scratches but it just fills them in. Enough reading bottle labels -- I have to ask you guys!

Please almighty Autopians come to my rescue and give me the magic combo of product and pad to cure this beautiful car!!:help:

Holden_C04
07-02-2008, 03:25 PM
You need an abrasive polish to remove swirls, not an all-in-one like Klasse. It`s designed to chemically polish the paint and remove light swirls.

I would suggest either Menzerna or 1Z polishes. Oh, and 4" pads, too.

RTexasF
07-02-2008, 03:26 PM
KAIO is essentially a chemical paint cleaner with sealing properties. You need a polish to realize what you are trying to accomplish. There are hundreds that will work well so I`ll pass on recommendations. It`s possible you will need two polishes, one more aggressive and one less aggressive for final finish.

murf'n'surf
07-02-2008, 03:41 PM
So KAIO is only good for next to perfect finishes?

I assume Aston`s have a ceramic clear?

So if I went the MenZ way, what 2 products would be best? Intensive polish followed by Final Polish II? What pads on each?

Accumulator
07-03-2008, 11:57 AM
So KAIO is only good for next to perfect finishes?

Yeah. Do the correction first and apply KAIO to a perfect surface. Beware the ad-copy hyperbole ;)

And unless you`re using the *Griot`s* orange pad, use a much more gentle pad for the final few polishing steps. Most orange "light cut" pads don`t leave nearly a good enough finish IME.

murf'n'surf
07-03-2008, 04:25 PM
10-4. Thanks for the tip on the orange pads.

snowskate
07-03-2008, 06:29 PM
I`ve heard the Klasse twins can actually make some scratches even more apparent? No?

I`d think of KAIO as more of a cleaner/surface prep for KSG rather than a polish.

murf'n'surf
07-03-2008, 06:32 PM
It just amazes me how great the paint looked and how short of a period it lasted!! It didn`t even make it 3 weeks or a wash!!! I looked at the car today and you can barley tell anything was done other than the butter smooth feel and shine.

imported_Bence
07-03-2008, 06:51 PM
KAIO contains a powder package too, so it is not strictly a chemical cleaner.

Accumulator
07-04-2008, 09:42 AM
KAIO contains a powder package too, so it is not strictly a chemical cleaner.

Yeah, I can`t quite remember what the micron rating is (was one micron on the older version IIRC), but it *does* contain abrasives. Now whether it`ll be *functionally* abrasive on a given paint...well, that`s a different subject ;) I can`t recall it *ever* being functionally abrasive on any b/c paint, or even on ss black laquer for that matter (not a hint of pigment transfer from the Jag`s door window frames, and that`s some *VERY* soft paint).

I`ve heard the Klasse twins can actually make some scratches even more apparent? No?

Yeah, it can make marring more obvious IME. But so an a lot of products...the shine just makes that happen in many cases.

I`d think of KAIO as more of a cleaner/surface prep for KSG rather than a polish.

Yeah, functionally speaking in most cases (how`s that for some qualifiers :D But it`s always been like that IME). The older version of AIO (similar to...uhm..oh, what`s it called...Prime Strong?) had a bit more cut to it but that was a long time ago.