PDA

View Full Version : Green engine cleaning?

backwoods_lex
07-02-2008, 04:55 AM
I guess one of the biggest environmental pitfalls with detailing is degreasing and engine cleaning. I know that after I degrease wheels and wells, it tends to leave a shiny trail that I`m sure has an environmental imact. Does anyone have any tips on reducing (or completely eliminating) the amount of waste and proper disposal of it?

One tip from me would be to use a solid, well performing degreaser (like greased lightning orange blast vs. purple power) to clean and rinse with a garden sprayer. I have degreased engines before using less than 1 gallon of water, but it all still went in the ground.

I also saw a video of the mother of all steamers recently that totally owned an engine bay in minutes, but it looked like an expensive commercial model. YouTube - Steam Car Wash (Interior steam cleaning)

How are the smaller units doing with stuff like this?

*EDIT* Member BLOWNVERT was the original poster of this video--nice find!

LeadingEdgeDetail
07-03-2008, 12:29 AM
Now that is a nice machine!!!!!

Accumulator
07-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Seems to me that no matter *how* you clean off/emulsify/whatever the oil and grease, it`s still gonna end up coming off the vehicle and going *somewhere*. So I had my (home) shop`s floordrain plumbing fitted with a big oil separator like I had in my commercial shop. The holding tank won`t fill up in my lifetime so now I don`t have to even think about it.

backwoods_lex
07-05-2008, 06:08 PM
If I were to collect and save all of the engine runoff, where could I take it to have it disposed of properly?

MCWD
07-15-2008, 10:25 PM
I recently got a VX 5000 steamer and I got it for a steal. If you search my posts you will see the price I paid. I can get you contact info on it if you like. As a mobile detailer there are def concerns about the waste water. Even by using all green products there are issues concerning harmful run off for people who arent. Down the road regulations are bound to be increased.

niero
07-16-2008, 04:01 PM
I recently got a VX 5000 steamer and I got it for a steal. If you search my posts you will see the price I paid. I can get you contact info on it if you like. As a mobile detailer there are def concerns about the waste water. Even by using all green products there are issues concerning harmful run off for people who arent. Down the road regulations are bound to be increased.

Could I ask where you got your steamer? I`m just learning about them, and they look amazing! Can you also clean the engine with a steamer?

Thanks!

MCWD
08-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Steam Cleaner - Steam Cleaners - Vapor Cleaner - Commercial Steam Cleaners (http://www.steam-cleaners-direct.com/?gclid=CObizey6u5QCFQWVFQod2FwSTQ)

Check it out.. all is listed on this site. Great machine! I swear that this is my fav machine to use. This def cuts down on waste water from the engine area. You can really get into the small spots too. GL

niero
08-06-2008, 08:01 AM
Steam Cleaner - Steam Cleaners - Vapor Cleaner - Commercial Steam Cleaners (http://www.steam-cleaners-direct.com/?gclid=CObizey6u5QCFQWVFQod2FwSTQ)

Check it out.. all is listed on this site. Great machine! I swear that this is my fav machine to use. This def cuts down on waste water from the engine area. You can really get into the small spots too. GL

Cool! Thanks for the link and info!

MCWD
08-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Its always a pleasure. I can give you some tips to do a great engine clean and do it rather quick with the assistance of the steamer. Today I did a 2007 Range Rover and prob took me about 15 mins to do a whole engine plus shine it. Not having all the water from a pressure washer eliminates having to use a compressor to dry it all down. You will have some dirty towels but the important thing to remember is that its safe, effective, and much quicker than the traditional ways. Time= MONEY!

backwoods_lex
08-14-2008, 03:04 AM
Its always a pleasure. I can give you some tips to do a great engine clean and do it rather quick with the assistance of the steamer. Today I did a 2007 Range Rover and prob took me about 15 mins to do a whole engine plus shine it. Not having all the water from a pressure washer eliminates having to use a compressor to dry it all down. You will have some dirty towels but the important thing to remember is that its safe, effective, and much quicker than the traditional ways. Time= MONEY!

Was the engine pretty clean for you to be able to do it that quickly? What dressing did you use?

ReDaLeRt
08-25-2008, 05:32 AM
If I were to collect and save all of the engine runoff, where could I take it to have it disposed of properly?

Here in Portugal, you could deliver used oils at any workshop. By law, they have to "recycle" all residues (oil, filters, etc).

[[]]

Relaited
12-26-2008, 06:57 AM
If you Google "Eco Engine Detailing" you will find an article written by Yvan, Anthony and myself.

Proper discharge of contamination can be done into an RV Park, you can develop a relationship with the local self serve car wash. technically, in most places, it is OK into the landscape, if you can find someone to allow the mess. Or the sanitary sewer in some cases is an option, need to check with locals.

I have also seen a wash mat be developed specifically for Eco Engine Detailing. it fits between the tires, catches the drips, can wipe up with Towels, then clean towels off site.

jim