PDA

View Full Version : Matting Down a Glossy Finish

sexmoneydrugs
07-01-2008, 06:34 PM
In restoring some faded fenders, I was pleased with the results - the milky grey is now a very dark black. But it`s now very glossy, where it was supposed to result in a matte finish.

Will the gloss eventually just go away, or do I need to use some product to knock down the gloss? I don`t know if you`ve ever seen glossy fenders on a Jeep Wrangler - but it looks kinda weird... they actually glare in the sun.

Oh, to protect the black, I have to keep `em sprayed down with 303 - but that`s not what`s causing the gloss - apparently the 303 just goes matte or gloss depending on what`s underneath. In other words, I can`t allow the sun to "wear down" the gloss - it`d probably just go back to grey.

Thanks for any info.

wfedwar
07-01-2008, 06:47 PM
I don`t know what you did to make them glossy, but in many cases you can wipe this kindof thing down with a damp cloth and cut down on the shine.

sexmoneydrugs
07-01-2008, 07:06 PM
It`s called "Forever Black" - it`s supposedly just a black dye. I already hit them with 303 - so should I just rub them down with a wet cloth `til it knocks out the gloss? Thanks.

wfedwar
07-02-2008, 04:31 AM
That`s what I`d try.

sexmoneydrugs
07-02-2008, 07:39 AM
Didn`t work. I hit them pretty hard and can still see my reflection. I don`t have any industrial tools.

I know a lot of people like a gloss - but on a Jeep, it really does look kinda weird. Flares shouldn`t really "stand out" like that.

Maybe I should leave off the 303 for a bit until the sun "eats" the gloss off?

jayjacque
07-02-2008, 08:03 AM
I`ve painted a lot of those things, so I know what you`re talking about. Because some brands of paint don`t do as well as others. I hadn`t tried Forever Black, but now I think I`ll be warned. Sorry you had to be the ginny pig. "Sem" Trim Black in an aerosol is the best brand I`ve found for a nice even satin finish.

But the other thing I find in painting plastic fender flares and bumpers is that many times they need an adhesion promoter product (for plastic), also found in an aerosol from your local paint and body shop supply or Napa Auto Parts. Spray one or two coats of that before the paint and it will prevent the bleed through, giving a much more even finish. (You won`t need as much paint that way either)

1 aerosol can paint , 1 aerosol can promoter, 1 each masking paper and tape, all together probably still just $40. Oh yeah and be sure and scrub & clean before any spraying.