PDA

View Full Version : How would you price this?

Pages : [1] 2

autobahn
07-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Customer is looking for hand washes, twice a month, on two cars.

Now the number I`ve been using has been $35 for just an exterior foam gun hand wash, including wheels.

So I figure 2 cars, 2 times a month, would add up to $140/month. Discount for a "contract" opportunity would put me at around $100/110 a month. Does that seem fair? Obviously a lot of money when you find that automatic washes give out unlimited montly passes for $19/month these days, but this is hand labor. With my procedure (I spend about an hour each car) it would work out to be less than $25/hour when you work in materials costs as well.

I was looking in trying to work a UPGP seal once a month into the deal. So maybe charge $120/month and include the sealant?

Envious Eric
07-01-2008, 05:41 PM
I have a monthly deal...4 washes and one 1-step (poliseal) exterior detail. interior always will receive a vacuum, dusting and glass treatment (no leather, plastics, etc)....starts out at 175 a month....but that is for 4 washes....take two washes out and you are at your pricing of 125. but I am offering a one step polish/wax, not just a sealant wax. Its roughly a 15% savings if prepaid...

but here is the clincher, there must be at least 3 cars, if not more to sign up for this service...I cant just drive across town for one car...

ajnavo61490
07-01-2008, 05:49 PM
i just put the costs of all details together and give my customers a $20 savings

weekly = 3 washes + interior (~$40 each) & 1 wash/wax + interior (~$90 each) = $210-$20=$190 total/month

bi-weekly = 1 wash + interior (~$40 each) & 1 wash/wax + interior (~$90 each) = $130-$20=$110 total/month

imported_JoshVette
07-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Why do you have to give a discount??

Doesn`t make any sense to me to discount your work when you`re using a foam gun, two bucket and other such quality techniques, sorry but you can`t get high quality at those other place.

I say don`t discount it at all, if he can`t afford an extra $30 bucks a months for top quality care then don`t waste your time.

Josh

bwalker25
07-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Why do you have to give a discount??

Doesn`t make any sense to me to discount your work when you`re using a foam gun, two bucket and other such quality techniques, sorry but you can`t get high quality at those other place.

I say don`t discount it at all, if he can`t afford an extra $30 bucks a months for top quality care then don`t waste your time.

Josh

While I see the point, perhaps the OP is just starting out and not done contract detail work before? maybe he thinks if offering a discount to a new customer can seal the deal per say. Me however, given prices of gas/food/my wife/etc if the customer that I have a contract with COMES TO ME then I offer 15% off, if I go to them then its full price period. and its ALWAYS prepay....

imported_JoshVette
07-01-2008, 09:35 PM
While I see the point, perhaps the OP is just starting out and not done contract detail work before? maybe he thinks if offering a discount to a new customer can seal the deal per say. Me however, given prices of gas/food/my wife/etc if the customer that I have a contract with COMES TO ME then I offer 15% off, if I go to them then its full price period. and its ALWAYS prepay....

I dont` understand this?

If they come to you then you offer them a discount?? But if they come to you then that means they`re wanting your services and are willing to pay your prices, why discount that?

If you go to them then that means you`re needing them and they are more at bay to negotiate at that point cause they don`t neccassarily need you, you need them....

Is that what you`re saying?

imported_JoshVette
07-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Even if he`s new in the business, why discount a small percentage that only equates to a measly $30 off a month??? That`s just not a deal clincher to me.....

Now I can understand if someone had 5-7 cars needing to be detailed twice a month, then that measly percentage adds up to like $75-$100 off per month, but even though that`s a sweet deal for the client, if they have that many cars they can afford it.

You start discounting this early on and you`ll end up discounting most of your clients cause you think it`s the reason why they are signing up with you and you just don`t make any money.

I vote no discount.:xyxthumbs

autobahn
07-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Well it`s not a discount in the sense that I`m doing my work "on sale", more like a quantity discount. I still will charge $35 for an individual hand wash, but because he`s having me do 2 cars twice a month, I believe at least a small discount is in order.

So $130/month is not unreasonable, then? My washes are of top quality, all microfiber mitts, foam gun + mitt on every panel, I rinse the mitts thoroughly after every panel to clean any grit out of the mitt, followed up by a flood rinse and a gentle microfiber dry.

imported_Ivan Rajic
07-01-2008, 11:14 PM
I`m with Josh on this one... I give repeat clients a 5% discount on polishing only, but a wash is a wash and I might give $5 off if someone comes weekly or if I`m on really good terms with them.

In short, you simply shouldn`t discount your services to anyone. Yes sometimes it`s fine when you`ve built a good relationship with some client(s), but even they should be kept in check and understand that your services are worth exactly what you charge... you`re not a hack shop which will get what they want even with a discount... I do sometimes lower my quote if I breeze through a job faster than I estimated I would, but at the end of the day, you`re doing the work, you should get paid for the quality of work you`ve done...

So like Josh said, I vote no discount as well (99% of the time)

imported_Ivan Rajic
07-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Oh and to answer your question, I would charge full price because, again as Josh said, what`s a $10-30 savings to the client... he knows what you can do, he knows what to expect and he knows it`s worth it, so why give him a discount.

imported_rydawg
07-01-2008, 11:27 PM
I agree with Josh........Skip the discount and if he wants quality then he should pay. If he wants cheap then find a local hack a whack shop that is desparate and let them goop his car with 1980`s tradition and love.

If you are putting quality time and passion into his vehicle with quality products then he should also give you a great tip also and then pass the word along. Quality does not come cheap, it comes hard to find. You get what you pay for.

imported_JoshVette
07-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Well it`s not a discount in the sense that I`m doing my work "on sale", more like a quantity discount. I still will charge $35 for an individual hand wash, but because he`s having me do 2 cars twice a month, I believe at least a small discount is in order.

So $130/month is not unreasonable, then? My washes are of top quality, all microfiber mitts, foam gun + mitt on every panel, I rinse the mitts thoroughly after every panel to clean any grit out of the mitt, followed up by a flood rinse and a gentle microfiber dry.

I think it`s very reasonable IMO.

And let me be real with you, two cars is not a quantity, even the poor people in America have two cars.....;) For me quantity means 4 or more but that`s just me.

One thing to keep in mind is educating your clients. You say you do top quality work, but everyone says the same thing..... so make sure your clients understand WHY MF towels are better and WHY two bucket washing and prefoam soaking is better and all that, otherwise they just see a clean car and not a safely kept long lasting finish due to no swirls being added.:idea

Josh

Envious Eric
07-02-2008, 12:12 AM
on washes, I dont offer a discount....I thrown in extras from time to time...

imported_rydawg
07-02-2008, 12:14 AM
I totally agreee with Josh! Educating your customers is the main key and not only if they decide not to use you, they then will go to a second shop and ask them if they do all those steps. If they do not then the customer will come back to you and it will be a sealed deal.

The more knowledge you show to a customer the more they want and trust you to do their vehicles. Always go into long detail about everything that way they know how much work is really involved in doing things right.

The prices that you are charging are VERY cheap. Sometimes cheap prices scream cheap work to some customers that you really should be focusing on. Educated people always know, you get what you pay for.

Example: Let`s say you go into a store and look at 2 buffers. You see one cheap one for $49 dollars or you see another one for $179, which one would you get if you are looking for quality? Now you see what I mean? Yes you may know the difference cause you are educated on the brands and quality. Your customers do not know the difference, so you have to educate them and once you do that they will never go to a hack shop again and you now have a new customer.

imported_Ivan Rajic
07-02-2008, 12:45 AM
The more knowledge you show to a customer the more they want and trust you to do their vehicles.

+1! So many times I talked to someone for 5 minutes straight when doing an inspection and their response is "Where do I sign?" or "When can you do this?"

You don`t need to bs when advertising your business but definitely sell what you do and it`ll show potential clients what`s involved and what it`s worth... rydawg said it perfectly