PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a Fabric Convertible Top

08StangGT
07-01-2008, 01:29 PM
I have an 08 Mustang GT Convertible with a fabric top that I got it last September. Until this spring, I had been hosing off the top with plain water and using a soft brush with feather tipped bristles on spots (when needed) followed by a lint roller when the top dried. (I don`t remember where I read about the lint roller, but that was a great tip!)

This spring I cleaned the top with Raggtopp Cleaner and followed with 3 coats of RaggTopp Protectant. So far, so good.

What can I use to clean the top when I wash the car? I am looking for a soap to use on a regular basis. I don`t feel I need a deep cleaning with Raggtopp every time I wash the car since the pollen season has slowed down and the car is undercover many days.

The Convertible Top Care Guide to Detailing says to use a soft brush and a soap that does not contain detergents or conditioners. Can anyone help me determine what soaps would fit this bill? I use Megs Gold Class for the painted surfaces, but the label sure sounds like GC has conditioners in it. I would prefer OTC products... I can get DuraGloss 901 locally if that works.

Thanks for your help!

BigJimZ28
07-01-2008, 01:41 PM
I use Megs Gold Class and a soft brush on my 97 Camaro Z28 conv top

it is 11 years old has 160,000 mi and the stitching is just starting to fail

just rinse well and use a lint roller every few days

richy
07-02-2008, 12:10 PM
ARO (available from AG and others) is great for convertible tops.

mose
07-02-2008, 12:36 PM
I use Megs Gold Class and a soft brush on my 97 Camaro Z28 conv top

it is 11 years old has 160,000 mi and the stitching is just starting to fail

just rinse well and use a lint roller every few days

+1 - Any good car wash soap should be gentle enough to use!