PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about pads - PLEASE!

Krafcik
07-01-2008, 08:31 AM
So my wife bought me all the wonderful detailling items i`ve posted in other threads. She bought me all of the various colored padss but in the largest size (7 1/2, I believe).

Do I need to get some other sizes as well? What is the benefit to various sizes?

In addition, I was blessed to received the Menserna line of polishes (intensive polish, final polish II, Finishing Touch Glaze and Full Molecular Jacket. Should I also consider other polishes?

Thanks all.

snowskate
07-01-2008, 08:42 AM
If you have the PC, then yes, try getting some 4" and 5.5" pads. I personally use 4" pads for heavy correction and 5.5" for typical or even light polishing. The 6.5" pads I use for glazes and LSPs.

That being said, try to get a 4" pad in at least yellow and orange.

Look into orange/white/gray for the 5.5"

For your heaviest polish, look into M105 and 3M Extra Cut Compound. Menzerna`s SIP is a good option to replace IP in many cases.

The whole reason being is that the PC doesn`t have much for power and therefore you need to go smaller in pad size and heavier on pad correction to get the most out of the PC.

You`ll quickly find that the large pads will bog down instantly when attempting heavy correction.

Oh, and if you get the smaller pads, get the right backing plates as well. 5" and 3.5".

SpecC
07-01-2008, 08:50 AM
i think you should give them back to your wife in case she starts having that time of the month

all jokes aside, i think snowskate has you covered with the PC

if you have a rotary though, smaller sizes = more heat = more risk of burning the paint, so you gotta keep in mind to keep that thing moving!

BigJimZ28
07-01-2008, 08:57 AM
if you have a rotary though, smaller sizes = more heat = more risk of burning the paint, so you gotta keep in mind to keep that thing moving!

:wall

smaller size = the edge of the pad is spinning slower = less heat

Eliot Ness
07-01-2008, 09:09 AM
.............in the largest size (7 1/2, I believe).

Do I need to get some other sizes as well? What is the benefit to various sizes?...........I don`t like using anything larger than a 6.5" pad on a PC and I`d much rather use a 5.5" or 4" for any kind of correction.

I agree with most of what snowskate posted except I`m not sure I`d recommend a yellow 4" pad. They can do a lot of correction but can leave marring that is difficult to remove with a PC, but YMMV. I`d want some orange, white, and grey/black in the sizes you`re going to use. The orange and white will be used for corrections/polish so get a few of each.
In addition, I was blessed to received the Menserna line of polishes (intensive polish, final polish II, Finishing Touch Glaze and Full Molecular Jacket. Should I also consider other polishes? You might need something with a little more cut than IP. Do a search for SIP, Meg`s 95, and some of the 1Z polishes that Accumulator is recommending and see what will best suit your needs. BTW, that was pretty cool what your wife did for you, she`s a keeper for sure!

blownvert
07-01-2008, 09:18 AM
Do you not get yellow, seems like your just starting out which is great. I found that honestly my 6.5" pads on the PC did nothing besides leave a nice smooth shine. I have just got 4" pads now and going to be using them soon for better correction. Orange, white, gray is the basic what you can use. I just got blue also to apply LSP because i was using more products, so I didnt want to clean them dry and wait.

SpecC
07-01-2008, 09:23 AM
:wall

smaller size = the edge of the pad is spinning slower = less heat

aieee disregard me then. i thought of it the wrong way

nm i won`t post my train of thought so i don`t embarrass myself enough more haha. back to noobville :geez

Krafcik
07-01-2008, 09:50 AM
thanks guys. I`ll pick up a couple in all the colors of the two sizes mentioned.

cheers

ZeroDfx
07-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Unless you have serious paint damage to correct, I don`t see why you`d need any more polishes. I have the exact set of Menzerna polishes finishes and they work well for me. That`s on a black 97 BMW 540.

Nick

drew.haynes
07-01-2008, 03:23 PM
aieee disregard me then. i thought of it the wrong way

nm i won`t post my train of thought so i don`t embarrass myself enough more haha. back to noobville :geez

You were just thinking PC. A smaller pad is more aggressive by PC because bigger pads can bog it down, whereas small pads maintain speed. On a rotary you don`t worry about being bogged down, so bigger pads can "technically" create more heat around the edges.

99blackSE
07-01-2008, 09:14 PM
...I`m not sure I`d recommend a yellow 4" pad. They can do a lot of correction but can leave marring that is difficult to remove with a PC, but YMMV.

Just curious Elliot, what cars have you noticed this on? Softer paints, harder? I usually use 4 inch yellow for heavy correction on hard paints but haven`t noticed a lot of marring after ( I follow up with 106FF, then do an IPA wipedown, but maybe my IPA is too weak?). Perhaps I will have to start using orange more then.

Eliot Ness
07-02-2008, 07:31 AM
Just curious Elliot, what cars have you noticed this on? Softer paints, harder? I usually use 4 inch yellow for heavy correction on hard paints but haven`t noticed a lot of marring after ( I follow up with 106FF, then do an IPA wipedown, but maybe my IPA is too weak?). Perhaps I will have to start using orange more then.It wasn`t on a super hard clear but it has been a while since I used a yellow pad. A 4" orange on a PC is as rough as I like to go before I break out the rotary. If you found a combo that works good for you that`s great and I`d stick with it, that`s why I added the YMMV disclaimer. As far as the IPA after 106 you might want to try some Prep-Sol or similar product to see if you`re getting all of the oils off:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/106337-wal-mart-prep-sol.html

There seems to be a lot of debate about the issue of what 106 hides (or doesn`t).