PDA

View Full Version : Holograms What did I do wrong

Pages : [1] 2 3

jw
06-29-2008, 08:26 PM
I thought I did really nice job yesterday until I saw the car in direct sunlight there were holograms all over the car. What did I do wrong? I finished with a green LC CCS pad and 106ff, I did a few passes at 1000 rpm to work the polish in, a few at 1500 rpm, and then back to around 800 rpm to finish. Should I have used a white pad instead of the green? What`s my best bet for getting rid of the holograms, should I go back to a PC?

Holden_C04
06-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Some people on Autopia are convinced that 106ff fills. I have seen this effect to a limited degree, so 106 may have filled the holograms you are seeing. Either that, or you didn`t catch the holograms at the right angles when you were inspecting the paintwork post-correction.

jw
06-29-2008, 08:59 PM
I think I didn`t see the holograms when I was inspecting. There tough to see not in direct sunlight.

imported_advs1
06-29-2008, 08:59 PM
wow, i did the same exact thing today!! i used a rotary for the first time so i`m guessing i didnt do a good enough job. i also used my halogens inside a garage and it looked perfect, but then i drove it out in the evening sun and it had a few holograms. i used CG wet mirror finish with a white pad, but i stayed at about 1500 rpm`s through the whole process. should i go back and try to finish with a black pad at lower rpm`s?? i really want to get rid of the holograms, because other wise the finish is great.

Mindflux
06-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Yes! Finish slower. 1500 rpm is a bit much.

imported_advs1
06-29-2008, 09:11 PM
Yes! Finish slower. 1500 rpm is a bit much.

so should i go back with a black pad, some more wet mirror finish and slow`er down to 800 or so??

what sucks is i waxed the car after before i took it out in the sun because under the lights it looked damn good. so now i have to strip the wax and redo it??

drew.haynes
06-29-2008, 09:11 PM
And maybe end with a finishing pad.

imported_advs1
06-29-2008, 09:13 PM
oh and i doubt i`ll ever go back to a pc, maybe my flex, but the rotary worked so well and so easy.

imported_advs1
06-29-2008, 09:15 PM
And maybe end with a finishing pad.

black LCC pad ok for finishing?

jw
06-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Do people recommend going with the pc or rotary to fix these holograms. A white pad is the softest pad I have.

Scottwax
06-29-2008, 10:14 PM
Ultrafina and a blue Ultrafina pad works very well. It takes out light holograms without leaving any of it`s own when used as directed on the bottle. You may get some holograms if the ones left by compounding are deep though so you may need a middle step prior to using UF.

imported_advs1
06-29-2008, 10:27 PM
well i was reading in some other threads where people actually had residue from the polish or what ever they used. i didnt do a wipe down. i might go back and try that as the holograms i have are so minimal, they can only be seen in lower dusk type lighting.

SuperBee364
06-30-2008, 12:46 AM
A green LC pad is too rough for finishing. The white is on the border of too rough, and the green is *more* agressive than the white. As for the rpm`s being too high, it kinda depends on the polish. I finish with fast RPM`s with UF and PO85RD, but slow RPM`s with FPII, and most other finishing polishes.

imported_Dave1
06-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Do people recommend going with the pc or rotary to fix these holograms. A white pad is the softest pad I have.

There are experienced detailers who like to finish off with a PC.....Your white pad will be just fine with a mild polish (using a PC). The orbital action should remove faint trails without too much trouble.......

Try finishing with a white foam pad next time using a rotary and see if that combo isn`t a better option for your 106.......:xyxthumbs

What are your polish options.....?

imported_advs1
06-30-2008, 12:57 PM
well i just went back and used an black pad on the rotary and i still had holograms. i went bakc over it again with my flex, same black pad, same CG mirror wet finish and they were gone. but it seems to me that the flex doesnt leave as deep wet a finish as the rotary does? is that just me??