PDA

View Full Version : Trashed Corvette (C5) roof

imported_weekendwarrior
06-29-2008, 07:08 PM
A client just picked up a used 2000 Vette that I am detailing next weekend. I saw it Friday night, but didn`t have a camera with me. It has the glass (Lexan) roof. It looks like the top of the roof has been sanded with a rough grit sand paper - no better way to describe it. I was thinking of wetsanding it with 1500, and working my way up to 3000, then polising with a polishing pad on either the PC or Rotary with Meguiar`s PlastX.

Anyone have any experience repairing these roofs?

imported_JoshVette
06-30-2008, 06:59 AM
Never repaired a clear roof before, but I don`t know if I`d start off wetsanding it, at least try buffing it out with both the PC and Rotary first.

BuffMe
06-30-2008, 09:57 AM
Good luck. Lexan is not meant to be (wet) sanded. I think the best bet is to just go at it with a rotary and polish and get it looking as optically good as possible.

imported_Dave1
06-30-2008, 11:40 AM
I buffed one last week that was originally clear and repainted black. I went easy on it because I wasn`t sure how much clear there was to work with.....

Sanding that top "see-thru clear" again is going to be a pretty big job.....You can probably buy a used one for less than the labor would cost to repair one that rough......Just a thought......:up