PDA

View Full Version : 50/50 Professional acid on rims?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_gators241987
06-29-2008, 05:40 PM
Ive never used 50/50 pro acid/h20 mix on rims, however, another "gentleman" claims that it is perfectly fine to use. Im a bit hesitant to believe this is true. Wouldnt it be dangerous to use on rims? chrome? mag? aluminum? etc?

wascallyrabbit
06-29-2008, 06:27 PM
are your wheels that bad? have you tried any other wheel cleaner(s) or clay?

imported_DetailDan
06-29-2008, 06:39 PM
Hes asking if anyone uses it and if its safe on all rims.

Holden_C04
06-29-2008, 06:46 PM
I prefer pH balanced wheel gel cleaners. If they`re not strong enough, try Megs Wheel Brightener. Be careful tho, Megs WB is very caustic.

imported_gators241987
06-29-2008, 06:58 PM
my wheels are perfectly fine. I was just asking if anyone has ever used the 50/50 on their wheels or if anyone has reasons to think it would or wouldnt work out.

Lumadar
06-29-2008, 07:08 PM
I know exactly what you`re getting at, and I am curious to see as well :laugh:

I will add this though, (It reminded me when someone mentioned the caustic factor of Meg`s WB) notice how Meguiar`s has SEVERAL different wheel cleaning products, each specifically stating that they are only safe on X,Y, and Z wheels? Also notice that you can smell the difference in acidity between the products?

It would seem to me that the acid levels need to be fairly accurate to be 100% safe. But that`s purely me guessing based on the line of products Meg`s has to offer :laugh:

LouisanaJeeper
06-29-2008, 07:09 PM
i would only use it on non cc`d chrome wheels

imported_DetailDan
06-29-2008, 07:11 PM
I think it depends on what kind of acid is being used. For example, Ive read oxalic is a lot safer then hydrofluoric. Also, diluting an acid with water actually makes it more acidic.

imported_themightytimmah
06-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Meg`s WB is safe on about 90% of factory wheels, it`s my preferred pro level acid. Polished aluminum, powdercoat, and many aftermarket wheels require a PH-balanced cleaner. For any sort of regular cleaning, I would stick with a PH balanced cleaner as well. MWB dulled mine over time, and they required rotary polishing to restore.

percynjpn
06-29-2008, 08:05 PM
I`m not sure, but a safer bet (though pretty effective) is 1Z`s Felgen Reiniger (acid -based wheel cleaner); it`s far stronger than their U.S.-marketed alkaline wheel cleaner.

But what I use for really bad wheels is full-strength engine degreaser (very alkaline, with a PH of 12-14). It works fantastic, and I`ve used it on all types of wheels with no problems -it`s a breeze! You can cut it with water if you`d like to dilute it.

Holden_C04
06-29-2008, 08:28 PM
I`m not sure, but a safer bet (though pretty effective) is 1Z`s Felgen Reiniger (acid -based wheel cleaner); it`s far stronger than their U.S.-marketed alkaline wheel cleaner.

But what I use for really bad wheels is full-strength engine degreaser (very alkaline, with a PH of 12-14). It works fantastic, and I`ve used it on all types of wheels with no problems -it`s a breeze! You can cut it with water if you`d like to dilute it.

I have never, *ever, needed anything stronger than this:

Sonax Wheel Gel Cleaner

http://www.vauxhall-accessories.com/images/small/IMG_211062.jpg

It`s relabeled as a BMW Car Care Product.

percynjpn
06-29-2008, 08:55 PM
I have never, *ever, needed anything stronger than this:

Sonax Wheel Gel Cleaner

http://www.vauxhall-accessories.com/images/small/IMG_211062.jpg

It`s relabeled as a BMW Car Care Product.

Actually, I recognize the bottle; I saw it at the Alpina dealer - he told me it was acid-based:nixweiss.

The reason I use engine degreaser on really bad wheels is that it cleans everything - not just brake dust: dirt, pitch, tar, grease, etc. In one step you can do what you`d need shampoo/cleaner, clay, wheel cleaner, etc. for - at the same time it removes the filth from tires that have dirt caked on them, and it also cleans the wheel well at the same time. On wheels in good condition, I usually use the 1Z acid based wheel cleaner.

Holden_C04
06-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Actually, I recognize the bottle; I saw it at the Alpina dealer - he told me it was acid-based:nixweiss.

The reason I use engine degreaser on really bad wheels is that it cleans everything - not just brake dust: dirt, pitch, tar, grease, etc. In one step you can do what you`d need shampoo/cleaner, clay, wheel cleaner, etc. for - at the same time it removes the filth from tires that have dirt caked on them, and it also cleans the wheel well at the same time. On wheels in good condition, I usually use the 1Z acid based wheel cleaner.

If it`s the same product, it`s pH balanced and not acid-based. If it has the same shape bottle, it should be the same product.

I have used this product on filthy, brake dust covered, BMW alloy wheels without a problem and they take a beating. Those OEM brake pads shed a ton of dust but Sonax eats it up like it`s nothing. It leaves a nice gloss behind, too.

percynjpn
06-30-2008, 06:58 AM
Well, it sounds like it gives you good results - that`s all we care about, right!;)

AudiOn19s
06-30-2008, 08:06 AM
I use Eagle One (discontinued but I`ve got 5 gallons left) wheel acid cut 50/50 with water all the time on cars with stubborn brake dust. Works REALLY well for getting the inside barrels of the wheel cleaned too. You do have to be careful with it but if you soak the wheel with water first, make sure the wheel is cool and don`t let it dwell too long it`s a very powerful tool. I don`t suggest using it as your only cleaner though...I use Eagle One All Wheel cleaner as my go-to...the wheel acid is backup.

Andy