PDA

View Full Version : ONR+Distilled Water

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mindflux
06-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Over on optimum forums a member sal329 I think it is asked about ONR + Distilled water and foregoing the drying stage to prevent any possible marring.

I was actually pondering this earlier this morning before I saw that post. I figured I`d bring it over here to a higher traffic area.

What do you folks think about that? What sort of residue would ONR+DI water leave behind once dried? Would it be anything more than what ONR already leaves on your car?

It`s an interesting thought to say the least.

I think Sal329 wanted to wash with ONR+Di water and then rinse with more DI-Water (which seems unnecessary to me for a `rinseless` wash).. but then again I don`t know what leaving ONR to dry on your car would produce.

Has anyone done this?

drew.haynes
06-29-2008, 02:44 PM
Subscribed.. :)

imported_Denzil
06-29-2008, 02:57 PM
I`ve never actually used ONR and distilled water for anything other than my clay lube and when diluting ONR QD. I also used distilled water for OID as well.

Eliot Ness
06-29-2008, 03:24 PM
.......wash with ONR+Di water and then rinse with more DI-Water (which seems unnecessary to me for a `rinseless` wash).. but then again I don`t know what leaving ONR to dry on your car would produce.

Has anyone done this?I did that yesterday and it turned out well. I will say I doubt that I saved much time over using a conventional car wash solution and rinsing with DI water.

It started out as just an ONR wash and then I decided to test my DI filter.

An ONR/DI wash only (w/o a rinse) might be something to check out, and you`d only have to do a small section or some glass to find out. But doing an ONR/DI wash followed by a DI rinse isn`t something I`ll probably do again. I just can`t see the advantage of that over a conventional wash with a DI rinse.

Legacy
06-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Anyone tried a leaf blower after ONR/DI wash?

imported_sal329
06-29-2008, 03:36 PM
I was thinking about this when I was moving things around in the garage and have 10 gallons of DI water figured it would be a good thing to try. I was not going to rinse the car with DI water, I ment to use it in the rinse bucket to rinse the mit before dipping it back inot the ONR bucket, sorry if that was unclear. Well I will be ordering a gallon of ONR soon and will be trying this out.

BlackElantraGT
06-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Personally, I don`t think this would work without rinsing. ONR is supposed to work by encapsulating the dirt. If you leave distilled water droplets behind by not drying, all that will happen is the water will evaporate and you`re left with dirt on your paint.

If you rinse with DI water, I can see how that will work but that destroys the whole purpose of a rinseless wash if you ask me. You might as well do a conventional wash.

Mindflux
06-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Personally, I don`t think this would work without rinsing. ONR is supposed to work by encapsulating the dirt. If you leave distilled water droplets behind by not drying, all that will happen is the water will evaporate and you`re left with dirt on your paint.

If you rinse with DI water, I can see how that will work but that destroys the whole purpose of a rinseless wash if you ask me. You might as well do a conventional wash.

Ideally the dirt should be in your bucket. If there is still dirt on the car wouldnt wiping it off with a towel be potentially more detrimental than just letting it re dry on the car?

BlackElantraGT
06-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Ideally the dirt should be in your bucket. If there is still dirt on the car wouldnt wiping it off with a towel be potentially more detrimental than just letting it re dry on the car?

most of the dirt is removed during the cleaning process and ends up in your rinse bucket, but there`s still a small trace of dirt particles left suspended by the ONR solution you left behind on the paint. And you`re right, I think people who experience marring with ONR gets it not from the washing process, but rather the drying process.

This doesn`t apply to just rinseless washes, but conventional washes as well; it`s just that with a conventional wash, you have the benefit of an additional clean rinse at the end. If our cars were 100% clean after the wash process and into the drying process, then we`d all be reusing our drying towels again by just letting it air dry. But that`s not the case as most of us know because a majority of us end up throwing our towels in the washing machine to get it clean.

Mindflux
06-29-2008, 04:40 PM
Conventional washes benefit from final rinse to remove soap residue that could later attract more dirt. It isn`t merely a way to remove any possible left over grit left on the vehicle.

By your logic about marring during drying it might actually prove beneficial to allow onr and di water to dry rather than wipe away.

NSXTASY
06-29-2008, 05:08 PM
I think that it would work as long as you did a rinse with distilled/RO/DI. Then blow dry.

IMO the advantage of ONR is reduced water cosumption.

wascallyrabbit
06-29-2008, 05:50 PM
i never thought to use anything besides ro/di water with onr. works fine on my cars. although being a rinseless wash method regular water would probably work fine since your drying it right away.

Mindflux
06-29-2008, 05:59 PM
i never thought to use anything besides ro/di water with onr. works fine on my cars. although being a rinseless wash method regular water would probably work fine since your drying it right away.

I think you missed the point. Using DI water could enable one to forego drying all together.

wascallyrabbit
06-29-2008, 06:05 PM
i`ll have to try that next time i wash my truck and see how it works.

the plan:

1. mix onr with ro/di water

2. wash truck with sponge

3. walk away

4. come back later to see if there is spotting

Mindflux
06-29-2008, 06:09 PM
i`ll have to try that next time i wash my truck and see how it works.

the plan:

1. mix onr with ro/di water

2. wash truck with sponge

3. walk away

4. come back later to see if there is spotting

Sounds good. I wonder what the onr mix will leave behind once dried.