PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars Endurance High Gloss on Jeep TJ Wrangler Fenders

sexmoneydrugs
06-28-2008, 04:44 PM
I`m in the process of restoring the highly oxidized fenders on my 2000 TJ Jeep Wrangler - and Forever Black seems to be working out so far. It`s a bit streaky - but pretty much anything is better than the milky black/white mess that was aging my Jeep well beyond it`s 8 years.

At any rate, I have some Meguiars High Endurance High Gloss for tires - it came with a kit. I don`t know what the fenders are made out of - they`re very flexible (for running over stuff I guess).

After I`m done applying this Forever Black - on the 4th coat now, and it seems to be getting better with every coat - I wanted to put something on the fenders to prevent that oxidation.

I have some Aerospace 303 - and I`m definitely gonna hit them with that. But I was wondering if this Endurance High Gloss might also be a good protectant, or if it`s only for rubber?

Also, for anyone who happens to run a search on Forever Black - it`s a dye - so definitely get out the masking tape to cover up the paint prior to applying it. I learned that one real quick - the product has a "shoe polish" applicator, so I thought I could avoid the paint - no way in heck.

Thanks for any advice - I`d just really prefer not to ever do this again - ye olde ounce of prevention.

It`s just a dye - so I`m guessing if I don`t protect it, I`ll be back to milky oxidation sooner than later if I don`t do whatever I can to lock it in. Thanks.

jeteast99
06-28-2008, 06:29 PM
try black wow

Dash
06-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Turtle Wax Ice does wonders for black trim.

phamkl
06-30-2008, 09:23 PM
I don`t believe the Endurance Gel will be as long lasting as the 303. I`ve tried tire products on plastic and usually it`ll get the plastic trim to look shiny but the look won`t last.

I assume the fenders are some kind of soft plastic.

BlueLibby04
06-30-2008, 09:24 PM
Ive used Megs Hot Tire shine Gel on my Jeeps plastic mud flaps and door handles with great results.

Never tried Endurance but I do have it. I would be worried that it would give to much shine. :cooleek:

abart
07-01-2008, 10:55 AM
I`m a noobie here but I have 2001 Wrangler that had the ugly faded grey fender flares. The best option I found, in my opinion, was to paint them with Krylon Fusion satin black. It`s specifically for plastic and couldn`t be easier to do. I took the flares off (pain in the butt) but I know of people that just tape everything off, clean the flares and apply 4-5 lite coats. The satin black has a slight shine but looks like they should in the end. I did this about 2 years ago and they still look really good. I do go off-raod alot so the paint has stood up to getting beat around pretty good. Hope this helps! :)

haper
07-01-2008, 11:56 AM
The best option I found, in my opinion, was to paint them with Krylon Fusion satin black.

+1 for painting them, found it lasts a good 14 - 18 months and is a much better option then anything else i tried. the first time i did it i removed the fenders (yup, a total PITA b/c like everything on that jeep the retaining screws were rusted) and the second time i didn`t remove then and instead used a lot of tape and newspaper.

here was my process: Paint thinner, 180 grit sandblaster sponge, paint thinner, Dupicolor adhesion promoter, Krylon fusion satin black spray paint (multiple very thin coats). the Krylon dries very fast, so once you done putting a layer on all four the first one is ready for another coat.

btw: i used the same process to paint the gas cap and tank cover, the read license holder and the rear bumper end caps. each of those were much easier to remove.