PDA

View Full Version : I`m about to pull the trigger on 12oz UPGP. Is it worth it?

Pages : [1] 2

autobahn
06-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Like my pun? :D

Anyways, is this stuff *really* as good as it sounds? Everyone raves that it`s so good, looks like a carnauba, actually does last a few months in contrast to other sealants which claim such things but do not deliver.

Also, is ordering 12oz too much? I`m not really detailing customer cars on the side anymore but I figure I will probably reapply every couple months. And I`m sure I`ll be sloppy at first and use too much.

Also I know I should be doing a search, but is this just like every other liquid/trigger sealant that I`ve used where you just spray a light mist on the applicator and wipe on? I know I skip the wipe off step but is it REALLY that easy?

I just can`t believe there`s a product that actually lives up to it claims.... yet everyone is sackriding the UPGP these days... :)

dbesins
06-27-2008, 01:58 PM
see my thread (best sealant for looks) a lot of good info

Scottwax
06-27-2008, 02:02 PM
I think Opti-Seal is a better value, but UPGP is an excellent product and purchasing it does help support the board.

Eisen Hulk
06-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Why not see if the Ultima Sampler is still available? Go to the Autopia store, and search for "sampler". You can get 4oz of the UPGP, 4oz of the detail plus spray as well as 4oz of PGP.

EDIT: I must give credit where credit is due...Eliot Ness was the person who originally told me about this sampler. Sorry, John.

Anyways, is this stuff *really* as good as it sounds? Everyone raves that it`s so good, looks like a carnauba, actually does last a few months in contrast to other sealants which claim such things but do not deliver.

Also, is ordering 12oz too much? I`m not really detailing customer cars on the side anymore but I figure I will probably reapply every couple months. And I`m sure I`ll be sloppy at first and use too much.

Also I know I should be doing a search, but is this just like every other liquid/trigger sealant that I`ve used where you just spray a light mist on the applicator and wipe on? I know I skip the wipe off step but is it REALLY that easy?

I just can`t believe there`s a product that actually lives up to it claims.... yet everyone is sackriding the UPGP these days... :)

Eliot Ness
06-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Why not see if the Ultima Sampler is still available? Go to the Autopia store, and search for "sampler". You can get 4oz of the UPGP, 4oz of the detail plus spray as well as 4oz of PGP..........Yep, that`s the way to go before buying the big bottle:

Ultima Paint Care Sampler Kit (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/ultsamp.html)

It also comes with a single sample of the Ultima car wash (pretty good stuff).

Shuskan3
06-27-2008, 02:35 PM
Is it worth it? Yes

Is 12oz too much? Yes, I would reccomend the 4oz. You can get about 50 heavy applications out of the 4oz.

Looks like a carnauba? No, it has its own look to it, but does not look like a carnauba to me.

Better than the other WOWA sealants? Yes, I now use Opti-Seal on door jambs and wheels...

I have been using it for about 8 months, and I have only been impressed with the results.

SpoiledMan
06-27-2008, 11:10 PM
I`d say so. Been through about 13 ounces at this point.:D

crew219
06-28-2008, 05:56 AM

I`ve tried the UPGP and personally I wasn`t happy with it. Poor durability being the main complaint. Opti-seal looked slightly better as it had a swirl-hiding effect and also darkened my red paint. UPGP was just very glossy and initial slickness wore off after the first wash. Opti-seal was less slick upon initial application but remained slick after washes. IMO, opti-seal takes it for both cost effectiveness and results.

The only product I was truly happy with in the ultima line was the trim and tire guard.

Dave

KnuckleBuckett
06-28-2008, 07:43 AM
I think it is totally worth it. I like having a couple of years of supply in a single bottle. I like the product. Best LSP I have ever used. However. Get your prep right. It is an amplifier. I have great prep (thanks to this forum and the kind folks within) and thus I like PGP because it amps my prep work and thus the paint.

Bigpikle
06-28-2008, 01:58 PM
UPGP is superb IMHO. My only slight gripe is that it doesnt seem to release water off the paint quite as well as Opti Seal, but the look is better IMHO. I had slickness for weeks and weeks, but as its so easy to use, i can just top it whenever and it takes just a few mins.

4oz will be plenty for most people just doing their own cars. I`ve lost count of the layers I`ve done on 3 cars in the last year and still have barely eaten into the 4oz bottle from the sampler kit. Only issue with the kit is that the PPP will be used up far before the UPGP ;)

Get it, and save hours messing with LSP`s and get a great look :D

-Longhorn-
06-28-2008, 02:01 PM
Skip it, go with OptiSeal.

EdLancer
06-28-2008, 02:14 PM
I think Opti-Seal is a better value, but UPGP is an excellent product and purchasing it does help support the board.

x2 agreed, can`t wait till Opti-X comes out !

wannafbody
06-29-2008, 08:26 AM
The 4 ounce size is plenty big enough. It does look as if OptiSeal is the better value.

NSXTASY
06-29-2008, 09:27 AM
12 0z is certainly the best value

Its a great product and is just as good as if not better than OOS and ZCS.

KnuckleBuckett
06-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Did you get it?