PDA

View Full Version : NXT vs Mothers Reflections (charcoal exterior)

FLAteam
06-25-2008, 05:37 PM
I`m detailing a friend`s car soon: a 2005 Scion tC with charcoal exterior, like this:

http://www.autobase.com/photos/large/03717046.jpg

I have two LSPs at my disposal:

1. Meguiar`s NXT Tech Wax Liquid (not 2.0)

2. Mothers Reflections Premium Polish

From what I know, they`re both polymer-based sealants with very mild cleaners. They`re both easy on/off. They both last a few months. They also both smell nice =).

But the NXT gives a "blingy" look whereas the Mothers gives a "natural" look.

So, which would be a better choice for the charcoal paint?

Thanks.

mixxmstrmike
06-25-2008, 05:46 PM
This is a tough one... That color is VERY similar to my wife`s IS 300`s Graphite Gray Pearl and I prefer the NXT because it brings out the metallic flake just a "tad" more than Mother`s Reflections.

-HOWEVER-

You top the Reflections with their Top Coat, that, from my experience, darkens the paint, provides more depth and just overall excellent protection.

The only problem is that the Reflections Top Coat is very hard to come by OTC. Pep Boys carries the Reflections Wax, but no the Top Coat.

My vote gets the Reflections Wax + Top Coat combo.

-Mike

Bunky
06-25-2008, 06:14 PM
The best Mothers combo for flake paints is FX + Top Coat. I agree on Reflections comments (darkens paint, mutes flakes some, but add gloss).

Alfisti
06-26-2008, 12:45 AM
I *LOVE* the look of Reflections on anything. Very glossy, some darkening but natural...like a premium carnauba. IMO Reflections (not Top Coat) is one of the best looking sealants around. I found it makes flake pop, not mutes it. Durability is average. Easiest to use...easier than NXT...and not fickle. Very under-appreciated around these parts.

gamby
06-26-2008, 10:22 AM
I *LOVE* the look of Reflections on anything. Very glossy, some darkening but natural...like a premium carnauba. IMO Reflections (not Top Coat) is one of the best looking sealants around. I found it makes flake pop, not mutes it. Durability is average. Easiest to use...easier than NXT...and not fickle. Very under-appreciated around these parts.

Interesting. I`ve never tried the stuff.

FLAteam
06-26-2008, 11:11 AM
From what I can tell, Mothers has stopped making the Reflections "Premium Polish" and has replaced it with Reflections "Advanced Car Wax"...

I wonder if I could find Mothers Reflections Top Coat at Wal-Mart, lol. Are there any other products like Top Coat but made by different companies? Its hard to find something that doesn`t have cleaners in it, but that`s what Top Coat claims.

Alfisti
06-26-2008, 11:28 AM
From what I can tell, Mothers has stopped making the Reflections "Premium Polish" and has replaced it with Reflections "Advanced Car Wax"...

Similar look apparently. Top Coat looks different. Softer with less gloss.

Its hard to find something that doesn`t have cleaners in it, but that`s what Top Coat claims.

Not just a claim... a fact.

Personally, Reflections looks better than Top Coat. Don`t get hung up on `no cleaners`. They`re only mild and can be applied over a glaze without problems.

FLAteam
06-26-2008, 11:58 AM
It`s not so much that the mild cleaners would kill my glaze, but for the future I`d like to put another coat of protection on top of a sealant, thereby giving the paint extra-long protection (like Synwax and then Top Coat). I`m afraid cleaners on many other waxes would take some of the sealant off, making another coat of protection worthless.

Oh, and I found retailers and what they stock on the Mothers website (and Wal-mart doesn`t have it, hahaha). In fact, most places don`t stock Reflections at all. I wonder if Top Coat (or the entire Reflections line) going to be on the market for very long...

Bunky
06-26-2008, 06:03 PM
There a many products in the Mothers line that are not available OTC. There are several online sellers like waxstation.com that sells below normal retail price and provides quick shipping. Repeat buyers get a discount.

Top Coat will lighten paint and provide a softer look. Reflections by itself is best if you want maximum gloss and dark rich look. I am sure some may prefer Reflections without Top Coat. As Alfisti says, by itself is a nice looking LSP.

FLAteam
06-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Hey, that place isn`t too bad...lowest prices for Mothers I`ve seen. Lower prices than amazon.com, but just barely (but free shipping at Amazon for over $25 orders...)

Thanks for all the info, I think I`ll try the Reflections alone (I haven`t used it much, so this will be interesting...). I only ask about the Top Coat because while I like making the cars that I detail look nice, I`m primarily concerned about protection. From what I know, the less you`ve got between your paint and your eye, the better it`ll look (but the less protection).

mblgjr
06-26-2008, 07:27 PM
Mother`s for sure.

wannafbody
06-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Get the Mothers FX at Wlamart- It`s half the cost of the NXT

Bunky
06-27-2008, 06:05 AM
Wlamart stopped carrying FX when they picked up the Power Ball for paint line. They had it on clearance for a while but no longer in any stores in my area. Pep Boys did pick it up this year and sells for like $9.99 in our area compared to $8 something at Walmart.