PDA

View Full Version : help needed for my website

Pages : 1 2 [3]

4fit?
06-28-2008, 08:27 PM
I have CS3 as well... thanks for all the help and advice... I`m going to read into the css stuff over the next few days/week when I get the time, but feel free to tinker with whatever you`d like if you have time and e-mail me the results. I know the site can become more efficient because I just made it to look nice and show everything as far as detailing goes... as for efficiency, I don`t know too much about it but I think it`s horrible... the rollover buttons on top are made the "wrong" way... I didn`t cut up the image in Photoshop into separate buttons, rather used the "hotspots" to link all the button areas on the image... so when you go over "home" for example, another image containing all the "buttons" loads, except the text on "home" is highlighted... the files are very small though so it didn`t matter to me, but I know it`s still the wrong way to do it... I`m sure you understand this confusing gibberish haha

Actually, that way would be the correct way to do it. But, instead of using ********** to control the rollovers, you would use CSS. Images making up a menu like this are known as "sprites".

You can look at my club`s site for some ideas.

Here is the main site (http://www.mustangsofburlington.com/)(to view the XHTML code, select View-->Code if you are on IE, or View-->Page Source if you are on Firefox)

Here is the main CSS file (http://www.mustangsofburlington.com/css/style.css). The site actually uses 3 or 4 CSS files.

I`ll try to find time to tinker with your site a bit on the next few days. Have a couple client`s sites I am working on at the moment.

imported_Ivan Rajic
06-29-2008, 02:56 AM
Actually, that way would be the correct way to do it. But, instead of using ********** to control the rollovers, you would use CSS. Images making up a menu like this are known as "sprites".

You can look at my club`s site for some ideas.

Here is the main site (http://www.mustangsofburlington.com/)(to view the XHTML code, select View-->Code if you are on IE, or View-->Page Source if you are on Firefox)

Here is the main CSS file (http://www.mustangsofburlington.com/css/style.css). The site actually uses 3 or 4 CSS files.

I`ll try to find time to tinker with your site a bit on the next few days. Have a couple client`s sites I am working on at the moment.

Thanks... once I read up a little about css I`ll probably shoot you a PM just to help get me started on re-doing the design in css while keeping the same look as it is now

4fit?
06-29-2008, 07:49 AM
Thanks... once I read up a little about css I`ll probably shoot you a PM just to help get me started on re-doing the design in css while keeping the same look as it is now

:2thumbs: Be glad to help.

imported_Denzil
07-01-2008, 04:27 PM
I`m still learning a lot about web development and was wondering what the benefits are to using PHP as opposed to normal html? A friend was suggesting that I use PHP since it`s easier and is module-based. Any thoughts?

TortoiseAWD
07-01-2008, 05:10 PM
4fit?,

I have the disadvantage of having started web programming back in the "bad old days" . . . trying to get IE4 and Netscape 4.7 to render the same way started my ulcer and slow descent into that limbo between sane and crazy. Trying to keep up with the changing tech has made the slow descent into a "please-need-more-bio-ram-for-smart-making" nose-dive. Avoid middle age at all costs, trust me. :)

You seem to know your stuff . . . I`m sure you`ve probably seen this site before, but it really demonstrates the power of CSS for those wondering why it`s a Good Thing: css Zen Garden: The Beauty in CSS Design (http://www.csszengarden.com/)

Kudos to everyone here trying to DIY your own sites.

Tort

(aging web-programmer)

4fit?
07-01-2008, 08:11 PM
I`m still learning a lot about web development and was wondering what the benefits are to using PHP as opposed to normal html? A friend was suggesting that I use PHP since it`s easier and is module-based. Any thoughts?

PHP is a nice and effective language. As you can see, the forum we are communicating in right now is programmed with PHP. The biggest advantage of PHP is that it is dynamic. This means that you can write a snipit of PHP code that will communicate with a MySQL database and return information. Just like when you clicked on this thread title and it brought back the information for this specific thread.

While PHP is nice for things such as forums, shopping carts, and the like, I believe static XHTML code is just fine for something like a detailing business website. However, if you want to give PHP a shot, go for it! Just make sure that you have XHTML down pat first. I`m actually going to be taking a PHP course next semester. :bigups

4fit?
07-01-2008, 08:19 PM
4fit?,

I have the disadvantage of having started web programming back in the "bad old days" . . . trying to get IE4 and Netscape 4.7 to render the same way started my ulcer and slow descent into that limbo between sane and crazy. Trying to keep up with the changing tech has made the slow descent into a "please-need-more-bio-ram-for-smart-making" nose-dive. Avoid middle age at all costs, trust me. :)

You seem to know your stuff . . . I`m sure you`ve probably seen this site before, but it really demonstrates the power of CSS for those wondering why it`s a Good Thing: css Zen Garden: The Beauty in CSS Design (http://www.csszengarden.com/)

Kudos to everyone here trying to DIY your own sites.

Tort

(aging web-programmer)

Tort, thanks for the compliment. I haven`t been programming too awfully long (about 4 years or so) and have been primarily self-taught up until recently, so I don`t know all the troubles you encountered when struggling with IE4 and early Netscape models. I have heard numerous horror stories though. :faint:

Nowadays, programming so that IE functions the same as the other (better) browsers is still a major PITA! I have found myself programming for Firefox, Safari, and Opera and then making sure that the code works in IE, making any necessary adjustments. I just wish all browsers could use the same DOM and have the same CSS support, but I guess that is just asking too much of the world. :rolleyes:

I`m glad you posted the Zen Garden link. That is by far the best place for folks to see the power of CSS. I`ve been tinkering with my own design for the Zen myself. Other responsibilities have taken priority over it recently though.

All the best,

-Jeff-

dmw2692004
07-27-2008, 10:44 AM
His is based off of a free CMS (Content Management System) called Joomla. Basically the CMS makes maintaining your website easy for all of those computer illiterate people out there.

mine is Long Island Mobile Car, Truck, and SUV Detailing ~ LIDetailers.com (http://www.lidetailers.com) and I was going for a simple approach while still making most of the site hand coded for SEO purposes which come in handy with getting customers from the search engines.

Where did you get your template?