PDA

View Full Version : Mystery sealant? $250/gal - sprayed on/buffed out - 3yr protection??

not7fifteen
06-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Ok so I am first to call BS on this as nothing lasts 3 years unless sitting in a garage its entire life and never leaving it.

HOWEVER, a co-worker just bought a Chevy Avalanche in bright red, and he said the previous owner had a $600 paint treatment done by the dealer...

COUGH - Dealer rip off detail!! - COUGH

Thats was first thing that came to mind... Probably just some carbrite or something along the lines, then he started telling me about it...

Said the truck was all taped off, sprayed with this stuff and let to cure... Then they had to buff it down with 2 pads on a rotary and 2 finishing pads on a PC unit... Sounds like some sort of clearcoat to me almost lol

Anyway, he was always telling me how he doesn`t have to scrub his truck even, or dry. He said that even with bugs on the front of it if he just sprays it down and goes inside for a half hour he comes out to a clean truck free of waterspots and the bugs spray right off without any gunk, and there are no waterspots LOL.

Being the autopian that I am I just tried to hide my laughter inside until today that is. I went back to his house to see this crazy $300/gallon mystery protectant in action. Keep in mind it hasn`t been done in over a year and he has no detailing supplies other than tire gloss and quick detailer at his house...

He gets his hose out, sprays the truck down and we go back inside. Play a couple games of pool then go back outside and get this...

Truck = completely dry on the outside, no waterspots to be seen except for on windows, and all the bug guts were completely washed away without even scrubbing... (given all he does is drive in town so the bugs that get hit only get hit at around 45mph tops usually)...

He said he forgot the name of the product but the guy he bought it from is sending him up a gallon of it from FL for $300...

Any ideas what they might have put on it? I`m lost...

porta
06-25-2008, 09:22 AM
If they are shipping him a gallon of the prodcut, then he can tellĂ‚´s you what the lable says?

Not all of those "dealer paint protection kits" sucks. I know.

joyriiide1113
06-25-2008, 09:28 AM
If they are shipping him a gallon of the prodcut, then he can tellĂ‚´s you what the lable says?

Not all of those "dealer paint protection kits" sucks. I know.

They don`t all suck, its their claims and the chimps that apply them that suck.

I`m sure if used rpoperly, after some good correction, you`d come out with some really nice results.

sinbad
06-25-2008, 09:55 AM
I can`t imagine what product it would be. Regarding the price, almost any of the good sealants would cost that much if purchasing "1 gallon". I know CG Jetseal 109 is around that much. Jetseal wouldn`t last more than a few months though. When you find out, please post back.

bwalker25
06-25-2008, 09:58 AM
maybe xkote? I`d be interested in knowing the product name myself ;)

pampos
06-25-2008, 10:39 AM
I am waiting for the name please....

not7fifteen
06-25-2008, 07:59 PM
He`s a hardcore stoner and forgot what the name is, but swears he should be recieving some shortly via UPS from the original owner of his Avalanche... I`ll post up as soon as he gets it and I can see what it is.

The method just confused me... Ever heard of anything you spray on like that then have to use cutting through finishing pads to buff it out after its already applied??

Twista616
06-26-2008, 08:30 AM
Isnt Optimum coming out with something like that?? "X" or something??

imported_steveo3002
06-26-2008, 10:25 AM
im sure what you describe is what most people beleive they are getting...as in a sprayed on hard protective coating

would be alot of labour to carry out a job like you describe

imported_dazzerjp
06-26-2008, 10:26 AM
A friend of mine had the same. The product used on his is made by Sonax - dont know brand name. Its sprayed on like clearcoat. Last about 1.5 - 2 years. It is very good but seems to do some damage to the paint as now it has worn off, the paint is much softer than pre-application.

wannafbody
06-26-2008, 11:06 AM
I`m not sure it`s worth the potential downside. Years ago my dad bought a car with the paint protection and after a few years the paint spidercracked (this was pre bc/cc).

pampos
06-26-2008, 11:20 AM
A friend of mine had the same. The product used on his is made by Sonax - dont know brand name. Its sprayed on like clearcoat. Last about 1.5 - 2 years. It is very good but seems to do some damage to the paint as now it has worn off, the paint is much softer than pre-application.

is it the paint that is softer or maybe the `protection`??if it is acting like a CC maybe is this one that is soft

imported_dazzerjp
06-26-2008, 11:37 AM
is it the paint that is softer or maybe the `protection`??if it is acting like a CC maybe is this one that is soft

possibly, but it`s been about 2.5 year since he had it applied and there is a noticeable difference to the protection clearcoat and the cars. The protection clearcoat didnt swirl after numerous handwashes, but did breakdown quite dramtically.

If you can afford it, cost him 800USD supposed every 3 years, then its great. But for single application, tne based on his experience, I wouldn`t go for it. He has a Subaru Legacy - about 8 years old and the clearcoat was rock solid. Now it almost Honda like.

Could be the cars paint was contaminated when the protection was applied. Not clayed or cleanse properly/ This is what we suspect/