PDA

View Full Version : Question about swirl marks

Randywreynolds
06-24-2008, 05:11 PM
correct me if I`m wrong (I know you will), but aren`t swirl marks micro abrasions in the clear coat. If this is the case, then are SMR`s removing the swirls or simply, for a lack of a better term, covering them up. If swirl marks really are micro abrasions, then wouldn`t the only way to correct the problem be to reapply a new coat. I`m not saying SMR`s aren`t good or that polishing has no place in detailing, but I just want to make sure that I am understanding things right. That way when people ask me to correct the problem I would like to advise them that the problem will resurface when it is time to go at it again. :wall

I apologize for the length of this thread.

Eliot Ness
06-24-2008, 05:31 PM
You can do two things.

1. use a filler (like in some SMR`s) to temporarily fill and hide the swirls.

2. polish or compound the clear coat surrounding the swirls so that the rest of the paint is now level with the swirls. Starting on page 22 of the following guide will illustrate this better than I can explain it:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/images/misc/dapolishing.pdf

heatgain
06-24-2008, 05:39 PM
Depends on the product you`re using. Some products do indeed fill on the small scratches in the clear coat, and once that products wears away, the swirls show again. A glaze comes to mind.

If you use a polish with abrasive material in it, then you`re polishing, or abrading, the clear coat down to the level of the bottom of the swirl, effectively removing the swirl.

You can also polish the clear coat slightly, to round off the sharp top edges of the swirls. That process would make the swirls less noticeable due to the change of light reflection from the "rounded" edges.

Your choice.