PDA

View Full Version : Help a new guy...

Brosekiah
06-24-2008, 12:11 PM
I have been doing a lot of reading on this site for the last week or so and I am feeling overwhelmed with all of the different products and acronyms. I found the acronym decoder but I think it will just take some time before I get to know all the products names.

I am going to start detailing my Jeep...previously I thought this meant a wash, wax and vacuum. Even though I thought I was taking care of my Jeep I can feel that paint feels nothing like running my hand over glass. So, I want to make a shopping list of detailing products. I know I will get lots of different recommendations but I would like to find a good product that wont break the bank. From what I have read here is what I think I will need:

1) Wash (I have some Armor All brand stuff...I dont know how good it is comparatively)

2) Clay (my dad picked up a Meguires claybar but I`m hesitant to use it till I hear if its any good)

3) Polish (I have no idea what to get)

4) Wax (I have been using Meguires cleaner wax...again I dont know how good it is)

5) Buffer (Im thinking the PC or the UDM)

6) Interior Supplies (I usually just wipe down with a damp MF...but I dont really know much about shampoo chemicals, deodorizers, etc.)

Any help with picking out some good products that wont kill my wallet would be appreciated. I will keep reading and learning...and now Im thinking about starting a mobile detailing business after I learn a lot more.

Thanks

Mike

rebelde33
06-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Here`s my suggestions if you don`t want pricey stuff that still does the job. Most are over-the-counter products.

1) Try Meguiar`s Gold Class Car Wash

2) The Meguiar`s clay works great so go ahead and use it.

3) I use Meguiar`s Deep Crystal Polish and it works good to give paint depth.

4) Cleaner wax is a paint cleaner/polish/wax. If you want a pure wax, try Meguiar`s NXT wax it`s very easy to use and the results are great.

5) The PC and UDM are basically the same machines so either is fine for starters.

6) For interior plastic/vinyl you can use Meguiar`s Quik Interior Detailer. It cleans and gives good UV protection. There are many other supplies for carpets, etc. but I`m sure others can give more advice on this.

Buegie
06-24-2008, 12:42 PM
If you`re going to buy an orbital, then you might as well get some real polish. That Deep Crystal stuff is part of the Meg`s 3-step and is mainly meant for use by hand. Look into Menzerna, Optimum, etc. and choose what kinds you think you need for your clear coat condition/hardness.

rebelde33
06-24-2008, 01:41 PM
If you`re going to buy an orbital, then you might as well get some real polish. That Deep Crystal stuff is part of the Meg`s 3-step and is mainly meant for use by hand. Look into Menzerna, Optimum, etc. and choose what kinds you think you need for your clear coat condition/hardness.

I beg to differ. I`ve tried Deep Crystal with the DA and got great results. I`m just suggesting them in case the OP is looking for lower priced, over the counter products.

BigJimZ28
06-24-2008, 01:47 PM
I beg to differ. I`ve tried Deep Crystal with the DA and got great results. I`m just suggesting them in case the OP is looking for lower priced, over the counter products.

and I beg to differ also

"Deep Crystal Polish and it works good to give paint depth"

yes this true because it is a glaze not a polish(it uses oils to hide defects, it does not remove them)

so if you are going to use a machine to "polish" your car

IMO a polish that removes defects would be a better choice

but if you are working by hand and want to hide the swirls it is fine for that

Brosekiah
06-24-2008, 03:56 PM
I have always been pretty a pretty loyal customer once I find a brand I like. Are there any brands out there that are good for wash, clay, polish and wax? Or would I be better off mixing and matching different brands for different types of products?

Thanks for the replies.

Buegie
06-24-2008, 04:55 PM
If you really wanted to stick to a certain brand, then I`d go with Meguiars. You can get their Gold Class Wash, Claying Kit, #95 or #105 for compounding, and #21 as an LSP.

I wouldn`t be afraid to mix and match though, I don`t think I`ve ever used one brand for an entire detail. You`d probably get better results if you did some research one what products are best for each stage of the job.

Brosekiah
06-24-2008, 05:14 PM
Ok, Ill keep researching and make a list of products.

I have a craftsman 9" Random Orbital Buffer/Polisher...I have been using this for waxing. Should I keep this for waxing with a wool bonnet or should I use a PC?

rebelde33
06-24-2008, 08:13 PM
and I beg to differ also

"Deep Crystal Polish and it works good to give paint depth"

yes this true because it is a glaze not a polish(it uses oils to hide defects, it does not remove them)

so if you are going to use a machine to "polish" your car

IMO a polish that removes defects would be a better choice

but if you are working by hand and want to hide the swirls it is fine for that

I never mentioned the polish should be used to remove swirls. That`s what the paint cleaner is for.