PDA

View Full Version : Clay? - KAIO - Collinite 845

evan631
06-23-2008, 05:59 PM
So i have been planning on detailing my Acura TSX for months now, but have yet to get around to doing it. Now the weather is getting too hot.

Anyhow...my question:

I have purchased KAIO cleaner, and Collinte 845, to do the detailing. However, now i am noticing some swirls in the paint. Does the claying removing these swirls? I have never used clay and I am a bit unsure of what it is supposed to do. I did a search on claying but way too many irrelevant post came up.

What do you guys recommend for the minor swirls?

BTW...all step are being applied by hand with MF applicators, and buff towels.

Thanks for the help!!

-Evan

Jscort98
06-23-2008, 06:10 PM
The clay will only pull contaminants off the paint and make it smooth and give it a little better shine. I`ve never used any polish by hand so I`ll let someone else recommend that.

VroomVroom
06-23-2008, 06:30 PM
By hand...I`d recommend a glaze. :) Seriously - the effort to polish by hand is (IMO) just not worth it. Clay...clean...glaze...845...and you`ll be happy.

What color is the TSX? My wife had a royal blue pearl `06 - really nice car.

SuperBee364
06-24-2008, 01:51 AM
By hand...I`d recommend a glaze. :) Seriously - the effort to polish by hand is (IMO) just not worth it. Clay...clean...glaze...845...and you`ll be happy.

What color is the TSX? My wife had a royal blue pearl `06 - really nice car.

Big Plus 1.

sinbad
06-24-2008, 08:22 AM
I agree. Applying glaze will fill in and hide most of swirls. Many glazes will darken colors and make them look wet which is what I like about them. There is nothing wrong with hiding swirls as opposed to removing them as the end look result is about the same.

KnuckleBuckett
06-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Big Plus 1.

Got my vote too. Polishing by hand should be limited to areas that a machine just isn`t applicable.

Accumulator
06-24-2008, 01:46 PM
I`ll go against the tide here and suggest by-hand use of 1Z Paint Polish instead of the AIO (still top with the 845). It`ll do some correction along with some concealing and it`s very user-friendly. IF the paint isn`t too hard, it`ll do a lot more correction that you might expect.

evan631
06-24-2008, 03:39 PM
So there are lots of suggestions here...which i like.

What i don`t like is that my purchases have been made on the KAIO cleaner and the Collinite 845. I made those purchases based on the recommendation on this forum a month or so ago. Kind of funny if you ask me.

BTW...someone asked what color the car is...it is Carbon Gray.

So I will continue to use the KAIO, and the 845...with an added layer of glaze in between.

I have an old craftsman 8in rotary polisher in the gargage. Do you recommend me using that with some new pads? Would i use the machine to do the application/removal of KAIO, and the 845?

Thanks again!

Accumulator
06-25-2008, 11:13 AM
So there are lots of suggestions here...which i like.

What i don`t like is that my purchases have been made on the KAIO cleaner and the Collinite 845. I made those purchases based on the recommendation on this forum a month or so ago. Kind of funny if you ask me...

Heh heh, well, I dunno how funny it is unless the same people are making different recommendations for the same situation. I always recommend the 1Z stuff (and Collinite), but having KAIO around is a good idea anyhow as it`s simply a good, versatile product. But if correcting marring is the job, AIO simply isn`t the right tool. It really does take a few different products to cover all the bases, just as it takes a few different tools to do work in most any field.

So I will continue to use the KAIO, and the 845...with an added layer of glaze in between...

Be sure to use a glaze that`ll bond OK to the (minimal) stuff that AIO leaves behind.

I have an old craftsman 8in rotary polisher in the gargage. Do you recommend me using that with some new pads? Would i use the machine to do the application/removal of KAIO, and the 845?

I`d absolutely avoid the use of that rotary, at least at this point. If you want to use a machine you need a random orbital/dual-action for this sort of work. The rotary isn`t the right tool for this job and could very likely cause serious problems.

Buegie
06-25-2008, 03:14 PM
There is nothing wrong with hiding swirls as opposed to removing them as the end look result is about the same.

Except when the glaze washes out in two weeks. Glazing is your best bet when you`re doing things by hand, but it can`t compare to the work you can do with machines.

Accumulator
06-26-2008, 11:03 AM
.. the glaze washes out in two weeks..

The concealing can last quite a while if you use a LSP like Collinite. By hand, doing a bit of correction *and* concealing is my choice, hence the 1Z suggestion. The stuff it leaves behind won`t last more than 3 weeks or so on its own, but it lasts indefinitely if topped with something like 476S.

Even glazes like Meg`s #3/#5/#7/#81/etc. can last quite a while if you choose the right LSP.