PDA

View Full Version : What wax do you recommend?

Pages : [1] 2

BUDSVTEC
06-23-2008, 05:48 PM
I am going to be waxing a 32 foot 2003 Searay Sundancer. What brand wax do you recommend me using?

The boat is in the water. Do any of you detail boats when they are in the water?

It has to be harder, right?

DETAILKING
06-23-2008, 06:27 PM
it`s gonna be difficult to wax that boat in the water! What is the condition of the gel coat?

BUDSVTEC
06-23-2008, 07:12 PM
He claims it is in mint condition. He says it is just dusty from being in storage. I never saw the boat.

So what do I tell him when I talk to him??

Thanks

Anomaly
06-23-2008, 09:01 PM
Ask your customer to let you view the boat as it sits (how he wants it detailed) and judge if you can tackle the task.

Otherwise, show up with a bunch of water wings and a tin of Collinite 476 and go to work!

BUDSVTEC
06-23-2008, 09:06 PM
There is no way I am getting in that dirty water. I told him I couldnt do the bottom of the boat since it is in the water, and I would only be able to do the top sides.....

I really dont want to do it since it is in the water.....but it is money

miahman98
06-24-2008, 12:25 AM
Collinite Fleetwax # 885. West Marine sells it for $30. You can get it online for a much better price.

BUDSVTEC
06-24-2008, 06:08 AM
My detailing supply store sells fleet wax. I will have to pick it up there.

Garry Dean
06-24-2008, 05:21 PM
Pass up the job until he can take it out of water for you! There is no real way to do a great job! Been there done that! He can have it taken out. Is there a marina nearby? Where does he keep it docked? If I were you I would convince him to pull the boat out of water to give him a good job.

BUDSVTEC
06-24-2008, 05:30 PM
I emailed him and asked if he can take it out - lets see what he says

thanks

DETAILKING
06-25-2008, 12:40 PM
Collinite works well on get coat and durable. I use Zaino AIO/Z2 on my boat after it`s cleaned & polished, but a good one step that is durable on gelcoat (believe it or not) is NU FINISH.

cgage
07-15-2008, 07:12 AM
I have detailed a 28 foot aft-cabin in the water before, PITA. Get a cheapie wal-mart polisher, put it in a stick and don`t drop it. That`s the best for wax. But since this is a 32 foot, if he has in/out service or even a slip, a good marina shouldn`t charge him more than 20 bucks to put it on a cleaning stand for an afternoon. Some muriatic acid will clean up the lower unit in about 5 minutes and make a big difference. Lots of choices for covered lowers, if he doesn`t have a painted lower, it`s gonna suck.

Scottwax
07-15-2008, 08:06 AM
I know rlspringer does a lot of boats here in north Texas and many of them are in the water (huge yachts) so he has a little rubber raft he uses to get as much as possible above the waterline.

cgage
07-15-2008, 08:09 AM
I know rlspringer does a lot of boats here in north Texas and many of them are in the water (huge yachts) so he has a little rubber raft he uses to get as much as possible above the waterline.

Also, they sell little wood planks you can hang from the railing on the REALLY big ones. Kind of like window washers used to use...

imported_hooked
09-26-2008, 09:22 PM
Here`s a really basic question, but I`ve never detailed boats before and a friend of mine wants me to wax his. The boat will be on a trailer (on land). In this situation, do you just leave the parts of the boat covered up by the trailer alone, or do you somehow reposition the boat so you can get to them?

Really dumb question, but I`m totally new to this. My friend just wants to put some protection on the boat. He`s not really looking for any serious correction. All I have is a PC, so I wouldn`t be able to do much correction anyway.

salty
09-27-2008, 03:42 AM
The top and sides see the most sun so they fade the fastest.

If you are to do a bottom wax just do what you can reach. Unless you have access to a lift of some sort.