PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Streeing Wheel

Beemerboy
08-26-2005, 10:43 AM
I have a question about the 70`s streeing wheel, the customer said that it gets sticky between using the car....this is a classic driver not a daily....Anyone have any ideas what causing this and how to stop it or control it?......I suggested woolite and water to clean but no dressing..

What are your thoughts?

jaybs02
08-26-2005, 12:00 PM
It`s hard to tell from the pic, is it a soft rubber?

"J"

a73elkyss
08-26-2005, 02:11 PM
Not really sure if this will help or not, but I`ll add my 2 cents. My current "weekend" driver is a `73 Chevrolet El Camino SS, but I`ve also had other older classics and I`ve seen this same condition happen to dash pads, door panels, as well as steering wheels.

What is happing is called "offgassing". It is the liquid part of the vinyl that is evaporating. Sometimes when a dashpad does it, you will see the "film" of it on the inside of the windshield. It is caused in part from the sun / ozone beating down on the vinyl. Very common in older cars.

My solution has been to use a superior vinyl protectant called 303 Aerospace products (http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=home). This will "help" with his problem, but quite frankly the damage is internal to the vinyl/plastic. He might try to keep the sun from hitting the wheel with some type of cover, or at least restrict the amount of time that sunlight hits the interior if at all possible.

Again, just my opinion.