PDA

View Full Version : SIP or OC - which has more cut?

imported_Need4Spd
06-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Only have experience with OP.. been using it with success on a virtually new car. I follow up with the zaino line.

Picked up a red jeep and went over it with OP (orange pad) and am not getting the cut I need to pick up the remaining 10% of scratches. Not to mention what appears to be pitting under halogen.

I was going to buy OC and give it a try, but have always been curious about SIP, just put off by the high price.

Will SIP give me more cut than OP? If I buy SIP/106, can I layer zaino on top? Do you think SIP will give me the cut I need? I`m looking for more than OP, but not so much that I`m going to need to deal with marring, etcetc.

Thanks!

Thomas Dekany
06-22-2008, 06:59 PM
Day and night difference. SIP will eat op for lunch. (unfortunately)

wannafbody
06-22-2008, 07:31 PM
SIP cuts better and faster

imported_Need4Spd
06-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Really...?

So you think ditching my OP for the SIP/106ff combo will yield the results I am looking for given that the OP with orange pad removes 90% of the defects? No need to try a compound like OC, OHC, etc?

EdLancer
06-22-2008, 10:15 PM
Really...?

So you think ditching my OP for the SIP/106ff combo will yield the results I am looking for given that the OP with orange pad removes 90% of the defects? No need to try a compound like OC, OHC, etc?

For the price of SIP, you can try both OC and OHC and still have some change left for lunch !

imported_Need4Spd
06-22-2008, 10:52 PM
True, but I am intrigued by the menzerna products and want to give it a try.

I can`t figure out which ones to buy for my jeep though. I hear SIP is great, but that IP is basically the same thing and is more suitable for conventional clears. Not sure which one to buy.

Then deciding between FPII and 106ff...

Maybe IP and then 106ff?

Envious Eric
06-22-2008, 11:57 PM
just get IP...cheaper than SIP, and has basically the same cut, just might dust a little more...that is what I am using...sip/fpII

i ditched the optimum line up because it takes too long to break down....results are good, but timing is an issue for me

SuperBee364
06-23-2008, 09:58 AM
SIP will give you more cut than OP, for sure. IP will give you just about the same, but not nearly as long of a working time as OP. SIP *does* have more effective cut than IP, even though Menz says they`re the same. SIP has double the amount of total abrasives in it, and the abrasive particle is much harder. It isn`t a bigger particle, but the net effect of double the abrasive and it being harder does give it slightly more cut. It does cut *alot* faster than IP, though. SIP also have a pretty short working time. Unless I`m working on very soft paint, I reach for SIP everytime.

imported_Need4Spd
06-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Interesting.. and SIP is okay to use on a conventional clear coat via UDM? I understand that the SIP was designed for specific clear coats - certainly not what is covering my jeep wrangler.

SuperBee364
06-24-2008, 01:45 AM
Interesting.. and SIP is okay to use on a conventional clear coat via UDM? I understand that the SIP was designed for specific clear coats - certainly not what is covering my jeep wrangler.

Yes, it should give you good results. SIP works well on everything but very soft clear coats.

shoryuken
07-26-2008, 04:27 AM
hmmm would a 1999 Honda Civic have a "very soft clear coat"?

Im completely new at detailing. Just purchased some SIP and plan on using it on a PC with an Orange LC pad.

thesacrifice
07-26-2008, 03:38 PM
try it with a white pad first

Bert
07-26-2008, 09:18 PM
SIP will give you more cut than OP, for sure. IP will give you just about the same, but not nearly as long of a working time as OP. SIP *does* have more effective cut than IP, even though Menz says they`re the same. SIP has double the amount of total abrasives in it, and the abrasive particle is much harder. It isn`t a bigger particle, but the net effect of double the abrasive and it being harder does give it slightly more cut. It does cut *alot* faster than IP, though. SIP also have a pretty short working time. Unless I`m working on very soft paint, I reach for SIP everytime.

When working on a car you have never worked with, do you start with SIP on Edge Blue Foam first, if more cut needed move up to Edge Green with SIP, then PFW with SIP next?