PDA

View Full Version : Shelf life ?

buja
06-22-2008, 03:16 AM
Counting the number of waxes and sealants I have, I have 7 of each kind.

and that`s for like 2-3 cars in the family.

think i might have gone overboard shopping over the last few months !

anyone knows how long waxes , and sealants can last ? assuming proper storage conditions, room temperature, dry , shade.

what about polishes too ?

hopefully all these will last 2-3 years....

Accumulator
06-22-2008, 09:33 AM
buja- As long as you keep the containers closed up tight and avoid serious temperature extremes, the shelf life is usually so long you simply don`t have to think about it. I stockpiled pre-VOC LSPs when I could still get them and I`m confident they`ll be OK indefinitely.

It took me a decade to use my last can of #16 and it stayed fine; my KSG is eight years old and it`s fine; my little jar of Zymol wax for interior wood is over *20* years old and it`s fine even with a crack in the jar`s lid; my old tin of Pro Yellow paste wax from the `70s (!) seemed OK when I checked it last week, and it spent years in a building that got well over 100F in the summer and near freezing in the winter. The only product like this I`ve ever had go bad was some v1.0 VM and that had issues related to the bottles.

Ditto for polishes, but I shake them up now and then. My Malm`s polishes from the `80s are OK and I`ve stockpiled a lot of PI-III RC/MG that I`m confident will stay good. A while back somebody (maybe SuperiorFine) used some Meguiar`s stuff from the `60s that worked OK.

Oh, I will point out that some Meguiar`s #34 went bad when left in the hot building...it cleared out into some obviously bad orange-colored stuff from it`s usual opaque pink color.

buja
06-22-2008, 10:18 AM
yeah im pretty sure and have the same view with you about the paste waxes.

only thing is not too sure about the liquid stuff , like sealants and polishes

BigAl3
06-22-2008, 11:30 AM
give the products a good shake every month or so, it definitely won`t hurt...

Accumulator
06-22-2008, 02:07 PM
..only thing is not too sure about the liquid stuff , like sealants and polishes

I guess it`s a YMMV thing, but I woulda expected *some* kind of problem by now if it was all that common. I have dozens of bottles of old stuff here and they`re all OK.

buja
06-22-2008, 05:54 PM
pardon me...what`s YMMV ?

BigAl3
06-22-2008, 06:10 PM
pardon me...what`s YMMV ?

your mileage may vary...