PDA

View Full Version : Rubber steering wheel cleaner?

ron350
06-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Rubber steering wheel cleaner?

I have a 75 Chevy truck that has a black rubber steering wheel.

Once or twice a year the steering wheel becomes sticky like the rubber is breaking down.

Is there a safe way to clean the sticky stuff off the rubber without fading the color of the rubber?

So far I have tried 91% isopropyl alcohol, Goo-gone, and mineral spirits. They will remove the sticky stiff but will make the rubber look faded or lighter in color.

Thanks

Ron.

gben
06-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Seems to me that the products you`re trying would further the drying out of the rubber. What you want to use is a product that replenishes the "moisture" content of the rubber instead of depleting it. Perhaps a leather conditioner type of product would help after applying a cleaner that has less of a "drying effect" than mineral spirits or rubbing alcohol. I would think any of the cleaner / dressing type products may work well for you.

ron350
06-22-2008, 02:53 PM
Gben yes the chemicals I have tried are not what I need to clean a rubber steering wheel.

I know some one on this forum knows exactly what product I need to use that is why I ask.

Joseph K
06-22-2008, 04:57 PM
Just use a woolite/water mix around 1:8 and scrub it down, then put some sort of conditioner on it and buff off the excess after you let it dwell for a while.