PDA

View Full Version : If you like a deep black matte finish on your tires--

pwaug
06-21-2008, 04:00 PM
give 3M Tire Restorer a try. I picked up a bottle a couple of weeks ago and finally had a chance to try it out today. It is thinner than most tire dressings but went on very nicely with a sponge. Very black--glossy when first applied, but drys to a great matte finish. Can`t speak to durability at this point but I`ll follow up in a few weeks. I believe I paid $7.50 for a 16 OZ spray bottle OTC.

pwaug
06-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Has anyone else used this product? How is the durability?

SuperBee364
06-24-2008, 01:48 AM
I really like the black matte finish. I`ll have to pick some up.

M333ee
06-24-2008, 07:49 AM
I`ve been using 303 for that nice matt finish but after one rainfall it goes away...:cry:

Going to see if it is availabe OTC in Canada.

VroomVroom
06-24-2008, 09:09 AM
I may have to try this, but I too am interested in your thoughts on durability.

FWIW, I am in love with Zaino Z16. Two very light coats, followed by a buff, and the matte black finish is outstanding...and quite durable. I still have Poorboy`s BnB on the shelf as well, which offers very similar results with a moderate comparable hit to durability. The cool thing about either - if you`re into the glossy look, skipping the buff offers great results without approaching the "gorilla snot" effect of many high-gloss dressings.

ron350
06-24-2008, 09:21 AM
I would like to see a side by side comparison between 3M Tire restorer and Black Magic Titanium Matte Tire Finish.

The BM Matte seams to work as advertised but I don’t have any thing to compare it with. I would be interested to see which one lasts the longest.

pwaug
06-24-2008, 09:25 AM
I may have to try this, but I too am interested in your thoughts on durability.

FWIW, I am in love with Zaino Z16. Two very light coats, followed by a buff, and the matte black finish is outstanding...and quite durable. I still have Poorboy`s BnB on the shelf as well, which offers very similar results with a moderate comparable hit to durability. The cool thing about either - if you`re into the glossy look, skipping the buff offers great results without approaching the "gorilla snot" effect of many high-gloss dressings.

I used the Z16 for a few years but am trying to move away from Zaino products to more reasonably priced, but comparable products. The 3M Tire Restorer didn`t require any wipe down after application. I cleaned the tires with Wesley`s and applied the 3M--glossy when wet, but as it dried turned deep matte black.

imported_Blake
07-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Really like the Black Magic Titanium Matte Finish on my Michelins. It dries fairly quickly and the tire does not pick up any dust. It will last through a couple of washes also.

blownvert
07-06-2008, 04:25 PM
PB Bold and bright

imported_DetailDan
07-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Is it dry to the touch?

imported_Blake
07-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Black Magic Titanium Matte is dry but I find some material left on the surface with BnB. I like BnB but I have really been pleased with the Black Magic Matte.

I am not a great supporter of B Magic products but it was recommended on this forum and I tried it.

DAC17
07-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Although it`s fairly old school, I really like the Hi-Temp grape tire dressing. It gets into the rubber and, with two or three coats, will last several weeks. Deep, black color; not too shiny.

jimmie jam
07-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Really like the Black Magic Titanium Matte Finish on my Michelins. It dries fairly quickly and the tire does not pick up any dust. It will last through a couple of washes also.

my quest for nice black/matte tires began in the earily 1970`s when i tried everything from "mop and glow" floor wax, original armorall to turtle wax "vinyl top dressing" that was like shoe polish that you applied with a foam pad and then buffed with a shoe brush. i just tried the BM matte a month ago and it has been unbelievablely durable - even after driving in the rain. i now LOVE this stuff.:bat

pwaug
07-07-2008, 04:33 AM
Is it dry to the touch?

The 3M Tire Restorer dries in about 15 to 20 minutes and stays dry to the touch. Still looking good but haven`t washed the car since putting it on. Has the look of a new tire rather than a dressed tire.

DM101
07-07-2008, 05:34 AM
I like Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel. This is the only gel I use. It is diluted with water. Makes tires nice looking black matte finish. May give the 3M a shot. Thanks for the info.