PDA

View Full Version : Opti-Seal

Pages : [1] 2

mongo
06-21-2008, 02:10 PM
OK is anyone else experiencing muting of Metallic flakes when using Opti-Seal.

I like product but seems to mute the flakes on my vehicle which is a downer but I like Optimum products otherwise.

thesacrifice
06-21-2008, 02:15 PM
i haven`t had any muting

Scottwax
06-21-2008, 05:08 PM
Haven`t noticed that at all, in fact, it seems to be the opposite.

SilverSeven
06-21-2008, 09:27 PM
I just finished washing and applied a coat of opti-seal on my car. Don`t see it muting the metallic flakes...? Like - Scottwax said it seems to be opposite. ;)

Rob Tomlin
06-22-2008, 02:11 PM
I wouldn`t say that it mutes the metallic flakes in my Silver Lotus, BUT I would say that it does make the paint a little darker and deeper.

I recently went from OS back to AJT, and I really do believe that the AJT gives a brighter look on Silver, where OS is slightly (but still noticeably) darker. You would never notice this in sunlight, but in shade you can see the difference.

Bigpikle
06-22-2008, 02:31 PM
I wouldn`t say that it mutes the metallic flakes in my Silver Lotus, BUT I would say that it does make the paint a little darker and deeper.

I recently went from OS back to AJT, and I really do believe that the AJT gives a brighter look on Silver, where OS is slightly (but still noticeably) darker. You would never notice this in sunlight, but in shade you can see the difference.

any reason for the reversion Rob? I know you were a fan of the OS, so was it just for a change?

Have you tried OS over AJT? Was considering this for winter on my dark silver DD...maintaining with OCW as needed.

es350
06-22-2008, 03:19 PM
I haven`t seen any muting of the flakes using OS on my silver car....the flakes continue to pop and sparkle. I do notice (like Rob) that the silver is slightly darker...especially compared to AJT. However, I do like the slightly darker look using OS.

Rob Tomlin
06-22-2008, 04:03 PM
any reason for the reversion Rob? I know you were a fan of the OS, so was it just for a change?

Have you tried OS over AJT? Was considering this for winter on my dark silver DD...maintaining with OCW as needed.

I am definitely still a (big) fan of OS.

The only reason that I went back to AJT on my Lotus was because I noticed that the paint looked darker after using the OS. I wasn`t sure if I was just imagining it, so I removed the OS and went back to the AJT to see if I noticed a difference. Sure enough, AJT was brighter than the OS.

I haven`t seen any muting of the flakes using OS on my silver car....the flakes continue to pop and sparkle. I do notice (like Rob) that the silver is slightly darker...especially compared to AJT. However, I do like the slightly darker look using OS.

Yep, it is purely a matter of taste and preference. The slightly darker/deeper look of OS on Silver can be nice too, especially in bright light. I prefer the slightly brighter look of silver in shade, at dusk and night.

dogma
06-22-2008, 04:25 PM
I find that OS does darken the paint it doesn`t seem to mute the flakes. I like ZCS for this reason it doesn`t alter looks other than appearing more wet. I also found that either AJ or AJT seem to mute flakes a little and looks more sterile. I also find that more than 1 application of AW mutes the flakes( 1 application looks great ).

Scottwax
06-22-2008, 07:02 PM
I love the slight darkening effect of OS on my grey lustre Maxima.

Rob Tomlin
06-22-2008, 11:35 PM
I love the slight darkening effect of OS on my grey lustre Maxima.

Cool. I`m just glad to see others agree that OS does have a slight darkening effect. It reconfirms what I was seeing, but wasn`t overly confident about.

Bigpikle
06-23-2008, 09:10 AM
well this confirms something for me also then.....

I put an old door panel out as a test in the winter, used OS, UPGP and a 3rd product I dont recall, but I was sure the OS darkened the already dark grey metallic paint slightly, although I never noticed it on any of my cars.... I thought I imagined it :lol

s2skimon
06-23-2008, 10:01 AM
it depends on the paint prep i find.

but as of late, even with poli-seal as a prep, i get this "shimmery" wrapped in "saran wrap" kind of finish, as opposed to a dripping wet "Zaino" finish... just my $.02

EOppie
06-25-2008, 03:32 AM
With it darkening the paint I guess I need to pickup some Opti-Seal for my black ford!

HiDefDetailer
06-25-2008, 10:32 PM
OS on my metallic Inferno Red Magnum has the flakes on and poppin`. Follow with OCW to and you`ll have yourself one silky surface.

OS also looks great on bright colors. http://hidefdetail.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/P1010231.154200231_std.JPG