PDA

View Full Version : Should I always clay before waxing?

charlie_su1986
06-20-2008, 04:54 PM
I just clayed and applied 2 layers of KSG about a month ago, now i`m thinking about topping that with Pinnacle CM Carnauba Spray after car wash for more protection (I do it every week since I`m a daily driver).

But the thing is for the after a couple weeks the surface seems to be containmenated again, i can run my hand across the surface and clearly feel it and hear it.

Is it bad to wax a surface like that? I mean I don`t feel exactly comfortable waxing and buffing on top of all those crap embedded on the surface. but excessive claying seems to harm the clearcoat too. What should I do?

Thanks a lot:)

SuperBee364
06-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Get yourself some Sonus Ultrafine Green clay. It`s great stuff for when your paint is contaminated enough to need a light claying, but not bad enough to go after it with agressive clay. If you`re feeling a bit of contamination with your hand, you probably should clay. The Sonus Ultrafine Green is as gentle as you can get. Make sure you use a really good clay lube, too.

Edit: here`s a link to the clay...Sonus SFX Ultra Fine Detailing Clay - Detailing Clay - Autopia Shopping Network :: Detailing Products and Supplies (http://www.autopia.org/shopping/product/Sonus-SFX-Ultra-Fine-Detailing-Clay.html)

Bert
06-20-2008, 07:32 PM
Get yourself some Sonus Ultrafine Green clay. It`s great stuff for when your paint is contaminated enough to need a light claying, but not bad enough to go after it with agressive clay. If you`re feeling a bit of contamination with your hand, you probably should clay. The Sonus Ultrafine Green is as gentle as you can get. Make sure you use a really good clay lube, too.

Edit: here`s a link to the clay...Sonus SFX Ultra Fine Detailing Clay - Detailing Clay - Autopia Shopping Network :: Detailing Products and Supplies (http://www.autopia.org/shopping/product/Sonus-SFX-Ultra-Fine-Detailing-Clay.html)

It`s kinda funny Supe, I have been thinking about PM`ing you the exact same question. The reason being, it just seems to me that sealing (or waxing) contaminents to your paint just can`t be good. Hence I clay about every 2-3 months when I freshen up my sealant. I have been wondering if I am being a little too anal.

SuperBee364
06-20-2008, 08:04 PM
It`s kinda funny Supe, I have been thinking about PM`ing you the exact same question. The reason being, it just seems to me that sealing (or waxing) contaminents to your paint just can`t be good. Hence I clay about every 2-3 months when I freshen up my sealant. I have been wondering if I am being a little too anal.

There`s no such thing. :D