PDA

View Full Version : Megs #47 Hardwater spot remover(Safe for cars?)

Ruddell
06-19-2008, 10:33 PM
I recently made a post(which is under review since I am a newbie) about what looks like water spots etched into or pitted in my paint. It is on a black car too. I did correction with the 4in LC CCS pads and Merenze IP which removed almost all the swirls but the marks are still all over my car. I posted pictures in the machine detailing of my specific car to see if anyone had any insight, but from the extensive searching I did on the issue it looks like wet-sanding is probably the only hope(other than a repaint). I really don`t want to have to go down the route.

Has anyone tried using Megs #47 Hard Water Spot Remover on clear coat?

The description on autogeeks website seems contradicting of it`s powers. But this interested me.."Apply #47 Hard Water Spot Remover using a polishing pad on your Porter Cable 7424 for the most efficient results. Work in small sections at a low speed. When the product starts to dry, stop polishing and buff away the residue with a soft microfiber towel.

They make it sound like it can be used as a polish specifically for that application.

Meguiars #47 Hard Water Spot Remover is a boat polish for fiberglass boats that cleans the gel coat and prevents further oxidation. (http://autogeek.net/hard-water-spot.html)

Holden_C04
06-19-2008, 11:15 PM
This is a quick detailer, it seems.

Ruddell
06-20-2008, 06:49 AM
That is what the description at the beginning made is sound like. But if you keep reading I copied a paragraph where they talk about buffing it on with a PC....interesting stuff. More interesting is if it will take the spots off of my car =).

howareb
06-20-2008, 07:04 AM
I do not know what the formulation of the Megs product is, but I used a product for water spots from Detail King that worked pretty good. It is an acidic preparation, but it claims to be safe for both paint and glass. I do not ever remember seeing a product such as this one (but I could be wrong).

Detail King`s Online Super Mall (http://www.goestores.com/storename/detailking/dept/72687/ItemDetail-9920782.aspx)

tguil
06-20-2008, 05:24 PM
#47 is for gelcoat, not paint. For paint use clay or white vinegar to remove water spots. If they are actually etched into the finish you will need a good abrasive polish.

Tom :cool: