PDA

View Full Version : Clean pads

Pages : [1] 2

danz24
06-19-2008, 09:38 PM
When you clean pads is there still some residue left, or are the pads completely clean.

I tried putting my pads in snappy clean pad cleaner, i used laundry detergent and even used palmolive dishwasher. And yes I squeezed out the heck outta the pads. Even soaked them in for an hour and I still have residue left over. Is this normal?

Legacy
06-19-2008, 09:57 PM
Yes sometimes its a PITA to clean pads especially with waxes. Have you tried Dawn Power Dissolver?

SuperBee364
06-19-2008, 10:02 PM
Just using Snappy Clean is good enough. It seems like no matter how hard you try, there will always be a bit of residue left in the pad. Just brush (or spur, if it`s wool) a bit before you start to use it, and you`ll be good to go.

imported_DetailDan
06-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Dont put the polish, wax, or sealant directly on the pad.

Ruddell
06-19-2008, 10:24 PM
I just recently made a purchase from autogeek of the CCS pad kit. It included the Pinnacle XMT Polishing Pad Cleaner which I find pretty helpful. I spray that on heavily and let it sit for 2 mins. Then I agitate it with the Duo Spur(Link Below) while rinsing out in the sink with the sprayer. Then squeezing it out and repeating the rinse while agitating 2-3 more times gets 99% of the polish out of the pads. Hope that helps :dance

Duo Spur Link

Duo Spur Wool & Foam Pad Cleaning Tool: Scrub dirty pads clean with this multi-pupose cleaning tool! (http://autogeek.net/spur100.html)

danz24
06-19-2008, 11:07 PM
So considering the fact that there is still residue left over, does that mean I have to stick with the polish I used on the pad? Meaning I cant put on a different polish after I clean the pad?

jw
06-19-2008, 11:24 PM
I have that problem also, especially when i`m using P0106ff which is purple on a white pad. I can never get the pad completely white again.

imported_Chris223
06-19-2008, 11:24 PM
Well by residue do you mean staining? Some products are simply going to stain pads... that`s the way it is, it doesn`t mean the pad isn`t clean. Poorboys SSR1 turned one of my white polishing pads bright pink for life, but I`ve washed the pad so many times, it`s deffinately clean, just stained. If you`re able to dedicate it to one polish, that`s good, but if not, I wouldn`t worry much, just wash it really good.

Eliot Ness
06-20-2008, 06:15 AM
.........Have you tried Dawn Power Dissolver?+1 on the Dawn Power Dissolver:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/83734-dawn-power-dissolver.html

blownvert
06-20-2008, 07:20 AM
get dawn power dissolver, it amazed me when it cleaned my powerball. All the residue was filled in those little air pockets still when i tried simple green with hot water in 5gal bucket, i sprayed it for 30 min let it sit then i rinsed and it was completely red and new.

Eisen Hulk
06-20-2008, 07:41 AM
+100 for Dawn Power Dissolver!!!

Please wear gloves when using it.

eyezack87
06-20-2008, 11:50 AM
+100 for Dawn Power Dissolver!!!

Please wear gloves when using it.

Definitely. I don`t know if it was the mix of chemicals but my fingers looked like they were sprouting white hairs but in reality it was the first layer of skin flaking off :wow:

Eisen Hulk
06-20-2008, 11:54 AM
That was definitely your skin sloughing off. DPD literally pulls all of the oil from your skin...I used lotion for a week to get my hands back to normal.

Definitely. I don`t know if it was the mix of chemicals but my fingers looked like they were sprouting white hairs but in reality it was the first layer of skin flaking off :wow:

Evenflow
06-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Just picked up some Power dissolver myself. How does everyone use it.

Spray some in a bucket with water, and let the pads soak up? Or, just straight spray the pad, let sit, and rinse off?

Eisen Hulk
06-20-2008, 01:00 PM
That`s how I do it. The longer you let it sit, the better it`s going to work. I`ve let mine sit for up to two days. I`ve had ZERO issues as of yet with that process either.

Just picked up some Power dissolver myself. How does everyone use it.

Spray some in a bucket with water, and let the pads soak up? Or, just straight spray the pad, let sit, and rinse off?