PDA

View Full Version : Sonus for BMW leather

aarasteh
06-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Hey guys. I`ve been following this site for detailing advice for a while now and have recently taken a huge step. Writing my first post. My big dilemma is trying to decide which leather conditioner to use. I have a 01 BMW 540 and the leather is feeling a little dry. I want to soften up the leather and avoid using products that leave the seats looking greasy/oily/sticky. Ive been reading up on Sonus leather conditioner and was wondering what your opinions were.

BuffMe
06-19-2008, 04:31 PM
Zaino Z-10 Leather in a Bottle. It leaves a nice matte finish and will make you want to lock yourself inside the car for days just to inhale it.

Quality Leather
06-22-2008, 06:25 PM
I am not a big believer in conditioner, but I would try Lexol just to see if it helps before spending any money on a more expensive conditioner. A good cleaning is more important than conditioning. Try using a 3M delicate duty white scuff pad to get down in the grain of the leather and remove as much dirt and grime as possible.

ThumperMX113
06-22-2008, 08:39 PM
Check out Leatherique`s product line-up.

judyb
06-23-2008, 01:01 AM
Leather conditioning is not necessary on todays modern finished leathers and is a completely misunderstood process. The only `conditioning` a leather needs is with water (moisture) and the addition of `conditioners` under certain circumstances can be detrimental to the finish oon the leather.

Use water based cleaners and choose a protector instead of a conditioner and this will help prolong the life of your leather. Please make sure you choose a protector that works. Conditioners do not act as protectors.

isurg
06-23-2008, 11:27 AM
What are the names of some good protectors?

aarasteh
06-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Thanks everyone for all of your feedback. I will try using water just to keep the leather hydrated. Ive been using lexol leather cleaner with great results. I just thought by conditioning the leather I would acheive the feel of new, soft leather.

jayjacque
06-23-2008, 08:39 PM
Turn a hose on it for hydration, then cover with blankets for protection since conditioners are evil.

Seriously though, Thumper probably had it right. A good rejuvenator like Leatherique could be in order. Hundreds if not thousands swear by the results for dry leather. Leather Vital is another one. I`ve been using a product called Soffener which is another one still.

To me conditioners are a light protection/dressing. They won`t actually dramatically restore older leather. 2001 isn`t real old, but not new either, sooooooo conditioning could at least give some hydration and slightly protection and IMO help maintain from getting worse.

imported_Picus
06-23-2008, 09:01 PM
There is so much conflicting info on leather it makes choosing polishes or waxes seem easy. For *me*, I use what I call "dressing conditioners" more for smells than anything else. Basically they`re water based cleaner/conditioners, that smell nice.

If I want to make leather feel better (like, actually make it more soft), I use leatherique. I don`t know if it`s made out of acid or the souls of orphaned children and it secretly destroys your leather and steals your TV, but for me, over many years of working on client cars, it`s always done an outstanding job when I have time to use it correctly (as in, put the rejuv oil on for a few hours, let sit, remove with pristine clean).

Quality Leather
06-23-2008, 09:04 PM
You didn`t say where you were located, but I have yet to see a very thorough and good cleaning not take care of leather unless it needs to be recoated.

jayjacque
06-23-2008, 09:09 PM
There is so much conflicting info on leather it makes choosing polishes or waxes seem easy. For *me*, I use what I call "dressing conditioners" more for smells than anything else. Basically they`re water based cleaner/conditioners, that smell nice.

If I want to make leather feel better (like, actually make it more soft), I use leatherique. I don`t know if it`s made out of acid or the souls of orphaned children and it secretly destroys your leather and steals your TV, but for me, over many years of working on client cars, it`s always done an outstanding job when I have time to use it correctly (as in, put the rejuv oil on for a few hours, let sit, remove with pristine clean).

Well put bro. So well in fact I think you should submit it to Leatherique for them to put in on their label LOL!

imported_Picus
06-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Haha, ya, I`m copyrighting it right now. It`ll be there first TV commercial. "Leatherique, made with souls, but it works!"