PDA

View Full Version : Best methods for test patches on black cars

Scott GN231
06-19-2008, 05:33 AM
Hi folks,

I`m a newbie to machine polishing and am using a PC polisher. I learned a ton from the How to Use the PC for Showcar Results DVD (http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/7424-dvd.htm?L+coastest+mjsj1272ff097e09+1213934213) and from working my way through posts here.

Got great results from polishing my 08 silver corvette coupe, but given the good finish (and hard clearcoat) this was really just a test run for the more challenging product of my Buick Grand National. I have 1,000s of hours of wrenching into this car and want to give the finish the same kind of love. The paint is overall in good condition, but has spiderweb scratches on the hood etc... and I see some major potential from a good polishing.

At the recommendation of a trusted source, I`ll be using Poorboy`s World`s Super Swirl Removers (http://www.poorboysworld.com/super-swirl-removers.htm) and a Griott`s orange polishing pad (I used Griott`s garage`s numbered polishes on the Corvette and could use these for the GN). I`ve used Zaino as a sealer/protectant for years and will stick with that.

My question: How would you approach a test patch on this black car? (1) Start with minimally abrasive SSR1 and then move to heavier if the result isn`t good? (2) Or make a guess as to what is needed and try that first (probably SSR2.5)? The first seems like a more conservative method, but I`m wondering if repeated application of progressively more abrasive polish in the same spot will take too much paint off.

Thanks for helping to make my first post a good one! Any and all feedback welcome.

Scott

drew.haynes
06-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Well generally, you DO want to start least aggressive and move up. You can give SSR1 a shot, but SSR1 is a really mild finishing polish and I would guess it is very UNlikely that it`ll take care of everything.

Personally, I`m not a fan of Poorboy`s polishes. I`ve used SSR1 and SSR2.5. They just dust too much for my tastes, but do get the job done.